Ballet Talk for Dancers
macameli

Stay and Study

macameli

Does anyone know of Pre-Pro programs that offer a "stay and study" (where a dancer can spend a few days visiting a program)?

labrador

Macameli,

You may be unto a new initiative! 

gasguzzler

For those interested in "The Professional Division" at Texas Ballet Theater School, which the school describes as a one to two-year pre-professional program comprised of advanced student dancers ranging in age from 16 to 21 years old who have been selected by audition. 

TBTS offers a “Stay and Study” opportunity as an extended audition for potential students. This short term program will allow the potential student to experience the Professional Division firsthand while being further evaluated by the TBTS Staff and TBT Artistic Staff.  Dancers may participate in anywhere from several days to two weeks, based on availability of the student and the PD work schedule. Dancers are responsible for providing their own housing, transportation and meals during their stay. Please call the office to discuss possible dates. “Stay and Study” Students will participate in the Professional Division’s schedule which typically includes a 9:00-10:30 Ballet Technique class followed by pointe class and/or rehearsals. These students may participate in learning new choreography off to the side of the studio or in the back, or they will sit and observe rehearsals of previously-learned choreography. These students are not permitted to participate in Company classes or rehearsals if they are scheduled during their stay. “Stay and Study” students are encouraged to attend evening and weekend classes with TBTS Advanced Level to complete their experience of all that TBTS has to offer. Solid color leotards with pink tights and ballet/pointe shoes are required for PD classes and rehearsals; no warm-ups/skirts. Black leotards are required for Advanced Level classes. “Stay and Study” students will receive a handout of Professional Division policies/expectations.

The above information comes from their website.

macameli

Thank you. I did know of TBT's program but wonder if there are others that offer such a program. To me, it's a great idea!

gasguzzler

Yes I think it's a fabulous idea. It is the only program like this I have heard of. 

mcjagger

Hmm. My DD's school has "auditioning" students who come and stay for a week or two to get a feel for the program and presumably to be assessed. I think it tends to be related to YAGP scouting, though.

MomtoSamtheDancer

I'm learning that this is pretty common and they are called short stays. From what I understand, they can be obtained a variety of ways. My DS has recently been offered two -- one from his SI and one from a ballet competition that he competed in. I have also been told that there are some schools where you can call and arrange it and it's treated as an audition for the year-round program. 

gasguzzler

Good to know MomtoSamtheDancer. Thanks for sharing it may save some people an unnecessary move.

Lulumom

I agree with MomtoSamtheDancer. As part of the audition process, schools offer dancers the opportunity to visit for a few days. However, I don't think that is as easy as calling to arrange a visit, but I guess that could depend on the program or dancers' age. I feel that the school would have had to see the dancer beforehand, to offer this opportunity, as it sounds like it was the case for MomtoSamtheDancer's DS. Depending on the number of dancers invited, the effort in arranging such visits would be significant for the school's administration.