Ballet Talk for Dancers
nynydancer

Anyone taking the residence plunge this fall?

MDPointe

For those who have taken the plunge with a 13 or 14 year old, did the experience for your dancer end up the way they were hoping it would? Would they have waited in retrospect? We are just beginning to have these conversations and it is overwhelming!

Bekah21

We took the plunge last year with our 14 year old. She was glad she did and did not return home. Her move did end up with the entire family relocating. However that was due to us she left behind and not her. She thrived in her program and would not have changed her mind. In fact with COVID now, I don't know if she would have been given the opportunity to move this year. So in hindsight it was the best for her. However I will say the student needs to be mature. Able to get up by themselves and get to where they need (even living with a host family or in dorms), troubleshoot or have a good support system (we lived remotely through a tropical storm with DD), do laundry, minor cooking, manage online schooling. I have heard some kids don't do as well as others so you really need to know the kid and the situation they will have with schooling, housing, supervision, etc.

MDPointe

Thank you Bekah21! Interestingly enough the COVID situation and the need to be home in our bubble has enabled my DD to have time to learn some great cooking and other household skills that I would’ve previously worried about. 

Ballet6706

We took the plunge with a young 13 year old. She lives with a host family. It’s been an amazing experience. We built a relationship with the studio over a few summer intensives so when she transitioned, she already had friends waiting for her. 

On the other hand, we know another child same age, different host family and it was a nightmare. She wasn’t ready.

I think at age 13 it is largely dependent on the kid and their personality. My DD is now 14 and I’m blown away at how much more she has matured since last summer. 

Ballet6706

Besides the cooking and laundry, there are a lot of conversations that happened at our kitchen table. Eating healthy. Self care. Medicine when you are sick. Inappropriate behavior by adults (especially in host family situations). What to do when you are uncomfortable. How to clean a shower. Your first period, what to do. How to advocate for yourself (because we aren’t there). The issue of money and financial responsibility. How to use a debit card. These are just a few issues. I’m not there to remind her of many of these things.

We had a year to prepare for this transition. Thankfully. But these conversations still come up when we are together. Communication is so very important. 

MDPointe

Thank you Ballet6706. You just gave me a wonderful start to a list of topics to talk about while we start planning for this that I can add to as things come to mind!

Derin's Mom

hello

My DD was 14 when she moved abroad, from Tr to Fr. Even though she spoke the language to a degree it was a very difficult experience for her. She tried for 4 months and decided to come back. She now sees it as a great experience yet still carries the stress it has caused. But she says she will definitely try it elsewhere where a more international system is provided. We feel lucky that she was back cause with Covid things would have gotten more difficult on her side, being alone there.

To say it short, every program has its own pros and cons. But any new step helps them to mature even though it may not last long.