Ballet Talk for Dancers
blueryder2000

Men going last in class

blueryder2000

Has anyone heard of the ballet class protocol of men going last in the floor exercises in ballet class.  I have been taking adult classes for a number of years and have not heard this until recently.

Willimus

It is not uncommon for men to go in a separate group as they tend to jump higher and will therefore often dance at a slower tempo. In some schools, with some teachers, the men will go last. Heather Hawk, one of the most popular teachers in NYC for open classes, will usually have the men go first. It varies.

Old_Faun

Hmm, in "accross the floor" exercises I try to get in the first group, since I'm using up more space faster when I don't limit me hard. In fast petit allegro I try to hide in the back since most time I'm still in the air when the next step should be done.... but we have a big woman with the same problems.

Only man in class problems.

Kini

Long ago I was told it was traditional for men to go last. Unless I'm in a very small class I keep the tradition.

silvergreydancer

Yes, men going last is traditional. However if you are the only guy , It doesn't always hold. I tend to go when I'm pretty sure I have the combination. Not always last.