Ballet Talk for Dancers
Brittney

Switching studios?! help!!!

Brittney

Okay, so my current studio has only one ballet class a week and doesn’t even have the classes I want and need to get better. I’m debating between two studios. one has an ITP program (intensive training program) which wouldn’t be available for me to audition for until next year, and everyone seems pretty nice. I did take their summer camp intensive and it seems like a good studio but I don’t know... Everyone in my age group seems inclusive and all but they kind of stuck with who they know and it made me feel really iffy. they have a russian teacher who has performed as a solosist with the Moscow Ballet and have really good training. I would be placed in level 6 which is ages 13-15 about... I would be either doing pre pointe or point with that, and the ballet would be 3 times a week. one pointe or pre pointe class, one conditioning class, and one acro/stretch class.

The other studio, I’ve been taking pre pointe at all summer and they seem super fun to be around and overall seems pretty nice and I don’t get the iffy vibe there which is great. They don’t have an ITP type program but I would probably be going into intermediate foundations exam class which is twice a week for choreography, 45 minutes and 60 minutes technique class a different day, a 60 minute pointe class once a week, and maybe a 45 minute pre pointe class just to keep working on my ankles, and if I take the exam I have to register for PBT, which I think is 60 minutes, and here I might even get a solo, which also means more practice and help, along with more performance opportunities. Both the studio owners are very good friends, so I know they both have similar morals. I just feel so much closer to the second studio I mentioned. But when I go through their instagrams, studio one has been open for three seasons and studio two has been open for one so I have more of knowing the other teachers too with studio one. I’m torn between which studio I should pick!!!! I want to know also which studio seems like it would prepare me better with my personal feelings of where I’m at with each place to get me into a professional career in a ballet company. I am auditioning in October for RWB school since they are coming to my city, and I’m planning on also going to the masterclass. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: studio one is more expensive than studio two if that helps

Victoria Leigh

No answers, Brittney, until you fix your post. I edited your last post for upper case and punctuation, and this one is longer. I do not have the time to fix this one because every sentence and every personal pronoun and every name of a school, company, or institution has to be fixed. I did fix the title, to start with an upper case letter. The rest of the post you will need to edit before I or any other moderator will answer. Please read our Rules and Policies. 

Also, would you kindly explain what "itp" and "pbt" programs are?

THIS POST IS NOT OPEN TO ANY RESPONSES YET.

Brittney

I fixed my punctuation and capitalization!

ITP stands for Intensive Training Program where you train all afternoon throughout the evening, which I won’t be able to audition for until next May. And PBT is Progressing or Progressive Ballet Technique, a conditioning class where I would work on building strength and lean muscles.

Victoria Leigh

Okay Brittney,  you caught most of the corrections. Thank you, and I will fix the ones you missed. :)

As for your question, we cannot tell you which studio to choose, but can provide some observations to help with your consideration of the choices.

I would say that it is best to start with the qualifications of the studios themselves in terms of providing you with the best and most consistent training. It sounds to me like there are more classes at the first studio. Are their ballet technique classes one hour and a half, or just an hour?  The second studio seems to have only one hour classes?  I'm not in favor of that, to be honest. I don't feel that they are sufficient for students at the pointe or even pre-pointe level. 

Keep in mind that when you are new to a studio you are in classes with students who all know each other for a long time. It takes a little while to become "included", as they need to get to know you. The friendlier you are, the friendlier they will be. :) Also, the length of time that a studio has been open does not distinguish quality of training. It is the teachers and the program itself that they provide that must be considered.

Brittney

The ballet class I would get once a week at the studio one would only be one hour a week. 

Victoria Leigh
On 8/19/2018 at 4:12 AM, Brittney said:

and the ballet would be 3 times a week. one pointe or pre pointe class, one conditioning class, and one acro/stretch class.

Does this mean 3 ballet classes, one pointe or pre pointe, and one acro/stretch, or does it mean one ballet class plus the other two classes? If so, that is totally insufficient. Anyone ready for pointe work should have been taking at least 3 one and a half hour ballet technique classes per week for at least the year prior to beginning pointe.  Please clarify. 

Brittney

That means there is one ballet pointe class, one conditioning class, and one acro class. For those reasons I am leaning towards studio two since if I went there I would be getting two or three ballet classes, a pointe class, an d progressing ballet technique conditioning.

Victoria Leigh

Okay, now I understand. The first studio is absolutely not a good choice.  Have you investigated any other schools besides the second one, which also seems really limited in the amount of ballet technique classes.  I don't understand choreography classes for students who don't have a strong level of technique, and the same goes for pointe classes. Technique is first and foremost and you need a minimum of 3 one and a half hour classes per week, plus the other classes, to get beyond a very low level of technique. If that is not available at any studios in your city, then I guess you will just have to choose the one that suits you the best for now.  

Brittney

I think I will be crossing studio two because all of the other studios have the same, or less classes for technique and I have seemed to have improved the most over this once a week class during the summer than I did all year! Thank you for helping me out ☺️ Hopefully next year I will be in a full time program, or even this year if something works out, so I can get what I need! Once again, Thank you!

Victoria Leigh

You are most welcome, Brittney, and I wish  you the very best for this year.