Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballerinagxrl7713

Ballerina Body Type and Going Pro

ballerinagxrl7713

In ballet, the usual body-type that is preferred in companies and other professional establishments for ballet dancers are slim, long-limbed, flat-chested, and tall. I am 14 and I am trying to go pro with dancing, but I am a bit discouraged because of my body. I am thin, have long arms and legs, and I am also 5'4, but I am more on the bustier side, which is what discourages me. I am a B cup, and it doesn't bother me while I am dancing, but it definitely shows next to my thin and long body. Is it still possible for me to make it into a company with this issue? My teacher never really brings it up since at my school there are thin girls who have the body-type, and girls of other sizes and shapes, but I still can't help but worry. 

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to our forums, ballerinagxrl7713. :)

I think that it is something that you do not need to worry about at this point in time. You are young, probably still growing, and body changes happen. Your energy needs to be focused on your training, your classes, rehearsals, performances, and your love for dance. Become the best dancer you can be, and if you have the talent, the technique, the energy, the passion, the commitment, and hopefully great training and support from teachers and your family, then don't worry about things you cannot change, especially at this age. There are working professional dancers of many body types in companies, and not all directors look only at one type.   :)

ballerinagxrl7713

Thank you for the advice 😁