Ballet Talk for Dancers
Jennsnoopy

Nutcracker 2018

Jennsnoopy

It's getting close to that time of year for many of us. I'm curious if your dancer's school or studio does a Nutcracker, when are the auditions and how many shows are performed. Best of luck to all the dancers. Please let us know how things are going this nutty season. 

My DD's studio company already did auditions and casting and rehearsals started yesterday. We do four shows in December. It will be a special year for us as my DD was surprisingly cast as Clara for two of the four shows and corps for the other two. We start pretty early here.

forglitter

Congrats to your DD. What a testament to her hard work and acting skills!

Bavalay

Wonderful Jennsnoopy!  Your DD must be over the moon😎.  So excited for her!! My DD 12 is starting at a new ballet school as she was invited to continue training there from her SI.  The school is attached to a professional company and there will be 30+ shows for the Nutcracker.  Auditions are in September as school starts the first week of that month.  My DD will audition for the experience; with no expectation for getting a part as there will be a few hundred kids from the school auditioning (company only selects students from the school to perform with the professional company).  Wishing all the best as we move into holiday ballets and auditioning❣

Justinitforfun

Auditions at our school are the second weekend in September. They do 7 shows in December - 4 are ticketed public shows (2 locally with a soundtrack, 2 in a nearby city with a live orchestra). The first 3 performances are often my favorite. They are a bit shorter (about an hour) and are educational performances, put on for the benefit of schools in the surrounding counties. Kids from preschool through high schools are bused in and use it as a field trip opportunity. For many it is not only their first exposure to ballet but even just their first time in a theater. The amazement on their faces melts my heart! They perform for over 5,000 school children each season :) 

Ballet_Mage

Auditions for the children roles for our Nutcracker where in August and rehearsals have started.  My DDs school is attached to a professional company.  We have 19 public shows and 2 educational shows for students in the area.  All pre-pro students will learn choreography in Sept and Nov and then be cast in roles.  We are premiering a new Nut this year.  My DD has been volunteering for light walking during the technical rehearsals.  She is excited about the new sets and setup.  Anxiously awaiting to see the new roles and choreography. 

5678StarMom

Congratulations on Clara! DD15 performed the role last year and her casting was a huge surprise to us, too. 

Auditions for our Nutcracker were in late May and roles announced in July. We have already started rehearsal! They rehearse only on Saturdays after morning technique classes, usually from 1-5. It is a full student production with very difficult choreography.

Last year we had 2 sold out shows and had to turn away people at the door. This year we are having 3 so everyone can get tickets hopefully. Usually they only present Nutcracker every other year but because of the large number of senior (in high school) dancers they are doing 2 years in a row.

This year DD15 is soldier doll in the party scene (a solo), snow coryphee, and Russian trio. DD8 is a petite snowflake and petite flower. We were very excited for their parts, particularly my older daughter as she received better roles than older dancers and seniority is usually a big deal at this studio.

MEWDancer

This will be my DD’s first Nutcracker as a Pre-pro with a company affiliated school, even though she has been at the school for a while.  I have heard that pre-pro’s don’t audition.  This will be interesting as she feels she is not particularly favored by her teacher (who must recommend parts or how would the director assign them?).  Professionals and grads get the good roles, which is expected.  Just hoping she gets something decent and we survive the dozen shows!

BournonvilleMom

This will be my daughter’s tenth consecutive season dancing the Nutcracker with her school, one of several performance opportunities that they offer each year.  Her school does several ticketed performances spanning one weekend, as well as additional performances at smaller venues (more community service oriented), usually making the entire performance commitment a few weeks long.   We have become used to weekly rehearsals from middle of August until late spring, for annual ballet productions.  DD is currently rehearsing for two ballets with her school.  I must admit I am beginning to enjoy much more the ballet productions that her company stages in the fall and spring, before and after Nutcracker season.  For some reason, Nutcracker has more serious in nature each year, as I am becoming less concerned with what roles she will have than I am with keeping nightly routines for her injury prevention, general time management, and just plain survival.  Nutcracker multitasking has become seriously more complicated as I am usually more busy with playing holiday “gigs”, her brother is playing multiple concerts as well.  It is not unusual for me to wish that I could clone myself, during tech week especially, to be in multiple places at the same time.  Dare I actually say it?  Nutcracker Season is crazy.  We have multiple dancers in our family as well, which means multiple Nutcrackers, all which must somehow be attended.  We love it, and yet I know my daughter is always extremely relieved when that last curtain goes down, she can take a deep breath, and then we take a much needed few days of rest.  I do seem to be one of those few parents who is not overly fond of this ballet, although I will always love Tchaikovsky.  But just hearing the music from the Nutcracker, when out and about getting other holiday business done, is enough to make me and my daughter turn around and leave the store!  Perhaps I am a Nutcracker grinch.  

Edited by BournonvilleMom

artsRus

Looking forward to Nutcracker this year! My daughter is 16 and looking forward to being considered for a lead.  Bournonville mom... you bring up a good question. How many parents go to ALL the shows. I don't. I go to one show of each cast. So I see her perform each of her parts. But I don't go to all of them. 

Mom de deux

It's DD14's 10th Nut with her school as well. She is too old for party scene auditions, which are in two weeks, but she is in the pool of students vying for Act II leads. She desperately wants Arabian lead, and would like to be in the Snow Corps again. I think the latter is very likely. The former is a bit of a stretch, even though she understudied it last year. We should know by the end of the month.

Our school does only two shows, but does a good job filling our very large and expensive to rent campus theater in those two, so I can't imagine us adding more. (Our smallish college town has competing Nuts. Our traditional classical ballet school and the largest of the local comp studios each does one. Ours is very traditional, with occasional professional guests, theirs often has a nontraditional take.)

Opening night of Nutcracker is, if possible, even more eagerly awaited by my DDs than Christmas morning, and while "Dad de deux" is not a fan beyond getting to see the DD's, I love it. I am the one who goes to see the second show if casting is different. "DdD" generally only sees the one where DD14 has better casting. That will probably change as DD7 gets older.

Being out of the Clara years and not yet in the SPF years frankly makes casting a much less stressful kind of suspense at my house. Congrats to everyone whose dancers have their parts already. I always look forward to hearing about people's good news!

DanceDaddy
9 hours ago, artsRus said:

. How many parents go to ALL the shows.

We have 4, I typically go to 3 of them.

And BournonvilleMom, is spot on. While it is exciting once the music plays, it is about Survival!

Jennsnoopy

We have 4 shows, I usually go to two and volunteer backstage for the other two.  This year, I will go to 3 shows (the two where my DD is Clara and one where she is in the corps). The last show I will volunteer to work.

How many productions have parents volunteer to help with rehearsals/backstage ? 

Leigh28

Casting was released at our school today and my DD (just turned 13 ) was cast as Clara!  This is our first year doing Nut, we've previously done Christmas Carol and Snow Queen. Due to her age, this is her only opportunity as Clara and we did NOT expect it at all!   We are both so excited!  I think it'll really hit me on Thursday when we have their photo shoot for the programs.

I am the props and stage manager for all of the productions, so now I have to decide if I want to sit in the audience for one of them or watch them all from the wings.  

Justinitforfun

I do not go to all 7 shows. We go to watch as a family twice, once at each venue. We have the same casting for all shows so there's no reason to go any more. I volunteer to help at the educational performances because I just love interacting with and watching all the school kids that come to see it. Our production relies heavily on parent volunteers - wardrobe, stage crew, dressing, ushering, selling refreshments, etc. 

Congrats to those who have already been cast! Our auditions are this weekend and will have casting on Tuesday. DD anticipates the same roles as last year, as they were both new for her at that time and usually the girls can expect to have the same role for 2-3 years. (Soldier and Marzipan) She liked both roles so she will be fine with that, or fine if she gets changed. She is not up for Clara or a lead, so casting this year is pretty low stress, just like I like it!! :) 

Edited by Justinitforfun
additional thoughts

BournonvilleMom

Our volunteering is spread across the year, and it is assigned to the parents taking into consideration what they prefer as well as what they might be most effective doing.  I’ve always volunteered for being backstage at Nutcracker, also.  While they encourage everyone to volunteer, they only can have so many people backstage.  I always enjoy seeing the younger dancers, who are so excited to be in their first Nutcracker.  It’s almost as good as watching the production. The only down side is the past few years I seem to have been unlucky with getting hit with flu after a week of helping in the green room.  That is beginning to not be so fun.  Since I’ve been doing it for so long, I may pass the baton this year and just watch.