Ballet Talk for Dancers
Jennsnoopy

Nutcracker 2018

Ballet_Mage

We will have 19 public performances and 2 community/student shows of the Nutcracker this year.  So, for sanity, I don't go to all the performances.  Pre-professional families are required to help in 6 volunteer opportunities during the Nutcracker rehearsal/show run (we have more volunteer commitments - I think 3 more shows - during the regular ballet season but the Nut asks the most). I will see the show once with family and at least 6 times during the run (if not more) through volunteering.  I love to see the roles by different casts (and my DD every chance I get).

Mom de deux

Well much to everyone's surprise, (but DD14's neverending delight) she not only got Arabian lead, she got it for both casts, which almost never happens. (The only other lead that wasn't split cast was SPF.) She also got some other nice roles (Snow and flowers corps, one of the mechanical dolls at the party), but this was the one she has been working and hoping for since she was 5.

The only drawback is that some of the older dancers are extremely unhappy with their casting and as DD put it, they are "draining all the joy out of everyone else." I think that will pass though, and at least it doesn't seem to be dampening her spirits.

DanceMumNYC

We have 6 shows. Some dancers (mostly teens) are cast for all 6 shows, in either the same role or multiple roles. The younger kids are usually split into 2 casts (3 shows) or 3 casts (2 shows), depending on the role. Last year when dd was cast in all 6 shows, I went to 4 of them. I decided to attend 1 show/day, but if 2 shows fell on the same day, I volunteered backstage for the other. This year, dd was cast in 3 shows & I haven't decided which one(s) to attend. I would like to see them all, but I also enjoyed working backstage & would like this opportunity again. I think it really depends on how many shows your dk is in..

Compared to last year, things seem much more peaceful. They must have worked on rehearsal scheduling far in advance, because the studio isn't overly crowded this time around. I also haven't witnessed any drama from neither kids nor parents, so that's also a good sign. 

5uptown

My son (well, and as a result my whole family!) is taking a year off from Nutcracker this winter, but I've never gone to all my son's shows. When he did a children's role in a professional company (which he did for 3 years before he got too tall) he was in 24 performances (and that was half of them), and with a good ticket running from $150 to close to $300 a seat, no way. I tried to see him twice for each of those seasons, once in a better seat, once I would get a cheaper seat up high. Then he did two years in a show with 6 performances, where he was cast for some performances in a bigger part, for some in a smaller role, I tried to go to one of each. He knows that we have to live on a modest family budget (and he is not the only child)-- we already organize a lot of our lives and limited vacation time for 5 years around his nutcracker commitments! 

mom2two

I learned early that I should not miss shows.  When DDs (twins) were eight and nine, they had roles of Clara's ballerina and trumpeter dolls that come to life and join her on stage during the battle scene.  Their second year doing these roles, they knew they would outgrow them for the next year so they decided to swap costumes and do each other's roles for the last show.  I wasn't there and missed it!  It's still one of their favorite twin moments!!

For the nine years DDs were in our local company's Nutcracker, I would try to see as many shows as possible.  It was easier once I got heavily involved with the parent organization that ran the souvenir boutique.  I attended some shows with family and volunteer for the remaining, which provided a free ticket.  Often, the volunteers would keep an eye on the monitor in the lobby and we would run in the back and watch just our DKs parts as they came up.  After so many years, one more grand pas was just too many!  

DDs are 20 now and will guest with a company that performs in two different cities again this year.  I flew out and saw all the shows in one city last year.  DH will join me this year.    

RaisingBallerina

DD is now in a smaller school where they don't do a full Nut, just Act II.  I miss it, but it was a huge commitment for all of us.  Most years I did character roles for 2-4 performances.  I watched most of her Clara from the wings instead of the audience, but I did get to play her mother that year!  I hope I do get to see her do Nut again one day, most likely that will mean she has gotten a trainee or higher position somewhere ... 

threegirlpileup

This is most likely my dd's last Nutcracker (!) as she is a senior in high school and heading in a more contemporary direction.  Much to her shock, she was cast as Sugar Plum--and though her initial reaction was terror (what's a contemporary dancer like me doing playing the Sugar Plum Fairy?!?) she is now excited and training hard.  Her studio does 4 performances in one weekend, so she needs a lot of stamina for the performance weekend.  Meanwhile I am helping with costumes, as I've done for years.

Noodles

My DD dances at a new studio so this is their second Nutcracker. They have put their own spin on it which is so refreshing because I have seen/helped with her previous studio's Nut for 11 years. 

We will only be doing 2 shows. I tend to watch both casts because I love to see the dancers in various roles! 

fuddyduddy

My DD will be busy this nutcracker!  She will be a party girl, a soldier, an attendant (to the SPF), and in the waltz of the flower corps. 

She is very excited!

There are three shows, and I will see all of them, but my family will only go to one. 

MEWDancer

My DD’s level is all usually cast in Chinese,     and finale.  Shorter ones sometimes can get a special party kid that has a small solo, a couple are clowns (depending on size, as they build a human pyramid).  My Dd got Chinese, there are 3 casts for that role.  She is in 8 of the 27 shows.  So far I have tickets to 3, that may be all I watch as tickets are so expensive.  This is her first year in a professional, company production.  She had previously been in a small school where kids had all but two guest roles.  This is going to be such a different experience and we are excited.