Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballerinagxrl7713

Advice On Going Pro

ballerinagxrl7713

I am 14 and I have a real interest in going into ballet as a professional career. I have been dancing since I was three, and then took a break for a year and a half due to financial issues, and then at age 13 I re-entered the ballet world and now I am in my small, local school’s professional stream advanced program. My concerns are that I am 14 but I have only been on pointe a few months since at my old school I wasn’t allowed to go on pointe because I wasn’t old enough and then I took my break. I hear that at my age I should have already been training with pointe for about two years already. I am scared that if I try and pursue a career I will either not have enough training in general and that I need to move to a different school that specializes in training pre-professional dancers, or I need to train heavily in pointe to catch up, OR both. If anyone has ANY advice I could really use it because I am very serious about pursuing ballet as a career. 

Victoria Leigh

Going on pointe late is not fatal, and in fact can work quite well if you have the physical facility and strength. However, really good and consistent training is necessary. We need to know a bit more about your current training. How many technique and pointe classes a week, and how long are the classes?  Do you take any other classes, such as modern or contemporary or jazz?  Does your school have performing opportunities?  Please tell us these things, and then we will know more about whether you need to transfer to a different school. :) 

***TOPIC NOT YET OPEN TO YOUNG DANCER MEMBERS.

ballerinagxrl7713

Starting September 4th I will be dancing about 4-5 days a week AT LEAST an hour and a half a day and pointe is included in the classes. My school only focuses on ballet and at the end of the year we do variation solos and I am currently working on one that is on pointe. I do a lot but I could do more. 

Victoria Leigh

Five days a week is okay, but you need the hour and a half classes each day PLUS pointe work for an hour at least  3  of those days. And variation solos at the end of the year are not enough performance experience. I think you need to get to a larger, more professional school.  There is a major ballet company and school in your city, so I would suggest that you check that out, if not this year, definitely next year. And audition for their Summer Intensive for next summer. :)

ballerinagxrl7713

Thank you so much for the advice! I talked it through with my parents and I have decided to wait until I’m sixteen so I can drive myself to the bigger school and it will give me more time to work on my pointe work. :)