Ballet Talk for Dancers
Chasse Away

Anyone have expirence organizing dancers for an "open" class

Chasse Away

Hey everyone,

I am looking for anyone who has experience (or just advice) organizing dance "classes" or groups of adult dancers. I have had this idea for a while and am just wondering if it is even possible or how to go about implementing it:

I am a university student and have noticed many dancers do not continue with classes  once they start school because they can't afford class, can't commute to a studio, or can't find time in their schedule. I was wondering if people would be interested in a peer led "class", the reason I am putting "class" in quotation marks is because there would be no teacher so it is not a class in the traditional sense. I would book studio space at the university for a weekday morning and invite people to join. I would start off "leading" the class, since I have no formal training I would not offer to teach (would not give corrections, fix placement, everyone would be responsible for their own technique) but I could come up with an hour and a halfs worth of exercises and I have enough experience to make sure that the music fits the exercises, the barre exercises compliments the centre work, nothing breaks any "unofficial" style rules. Then if enough people took interest after a few weeks I could invite other dancers to "lead" the class (I would keep this by invite only to ensure the quality of the program). We could also learn some repatoire and have people lead the rep that they are most familiar with. 

Had anyone done this? Do you think people would even be interested in this? 

I should add that my university offers beginner and beginner-intermidiate level classes, as well as the oppurtunity to join a "group" and preform a piece in February in many disaplines, but they are not "classes" but rather rehearsals for the performance oppurtunity. 

Edited by Chasse Away

Momof3darlings

Since your university offers classes, it may not be the same.  But I believe several schools have Ballet "clubs".  Which in the university setting simply means the "club" is not funded by the university at all.  I believe several of the Ivy League schools offer ballet in this manner that you may be able to look up.  DD guest taught at one a few years ago, but sadly, I do not remember which one that was to help you further.  

Chasse Away

Hi Momof3, yes we do have a 'club' in a sort of way. The problem is club meets for an hour each week and just reherses for the end of the year show, there is no class involved. I was going to join this year and see if any of those students would be interested in a peer led class as well! 

MelissaGA

Many years ago, when I was in college, this is exactly what we had. There was no dance department at all at the time, so no other dance classes of any sort available.  There was a student run dance club that ran held a few classes each week. There was a ballet class, a jazz class, a modern, etc. Fellow students gave the classes. It was quite some time ago but I do not recall any corrections. The same club did sometimes put on dance performances but those rehearsals were held separately. 

You could announce a meeting to begin the process of creating a group devoted to holding classes and see who responds. You might find some kindred spirits that way, especially those that have already taken the few classes offered. 

Momof3darlings

Look into Columbia University.  I believe in addition to bringing in teachers they also have peer led classes.  

Chasse Away

Thanks Momof3 and Melissa, I'm glad to hear that programs like this are out there and have seen success! Columbia Ballet Collective is exactly what I want to do (just on a smaller scale because I don't think we have that many ex professionals just hanging around my school lol).