Ballet Talk for Dancers
criadancer

Suddenly falling out of turns

criadancer

Hi,

I was at class last night and was doing a turn pattern. We did the pattern a few times and then were going to do it with the music. The first turn I did, I fell. I figured I just hit a slippery spot so I got some rosin and restarted the pattern. The second time I fell again and my teacher noticed that my alignment was really off (which is rare for me). She was starting to get concerned as I haven't ever fallen out of a turn in the past 5 years. She gave me some tips and I tried again. This time my alignment was perfect, it wasn't slippery, and yet I fell again. It was very weird as I didn't notice I was falling until I hit the floor and my body didn't even try to catch itself. At this point, me and my teacher decided that something was very wrong, so I sat out and she called my mom to come and get me. I felt 100% fine, no dizziness or nausea. I have done that turn pattern probably 50 times in the past and never had an issue. In fact, it's one of the easiest patterns we have. 

Today I'm going to dance and I'm terrified that it will happen again. I didn't go to the doctor as I had no other symptoms. Has anyone else ever had this? I tested my balance afterwards and it was normal. I'm absolutely dreading dance in a few hours because I really don't want to try to turn in fear of what will happen. This has been worrying me since last night.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, alexisfabiane.  

I hope that your class last night was better and that the problem has disappeared. However, if it happened again, then I think it is time for a visit with your physician.  This does not sound like a technique problem, but, it would help if we knew a little bit more about you and about your training.  How old are you? Are you in a pre-professional school? How many ballet and pointe classes do you take per week?  One other thing I would like to ask you to clarify, and that is "turn pattern".  I have never heard that term used before. Is it the same thing as a combination? 

If you write to Contact Us, it will come to me, and I can change your display name for you. We do not think it is safe for people, especially young dancers, to use their real names online in an open forum.  Please send me two or three choices for a more anonymous name, and I will change it. :)

criadancer

I am 15 and I dance at a pre-professional school in their Elite/Advanced Company. Currently, I do three 1 and 1/2 hour pointe classes a week and one or two ballet classes as well as 4 jazz and 2 tap classes. Yes, I meant combination, sorry! I didn't fall last night but I felt dizzier than normal. I am seeing the physician today. 

Ballet Prodigy

Just stay calm. I'm sure things will turn around No pun intended Heh Heh

Victoria Leigh

criadancer, glad to hear that you are seeing a physician. Let us know what the doctor says.