Ballet Talk for Dancers
longvermont

Fees for liberal arts dance classes?

longvermont

My daughter is looking at Iiberal arts colleges that offer ballet and other dance so that she can continue to take technique and also perform, while exploring her academic side. She currently says she doesn’t want to major or minor in dance. She recently toured Boston University and (setting aside feedback on their ballet levels, which maybe is a different conversation) learned that if she exceeds a certain number of classes, as a nonmajor/Minor, she would need to pay for the non-credit classes. 

Anyone have experience with this issue at LACs or universities?  

millvillemurphs

My DD's university has additional course fees for almost all dance classes (on top of regular tuition).  For dance majors, ballet technique class fees are currently $113 per semester (five days per week, 1 hr 55 minute classes).  For non-majors to take the same class, the fees rise substantially - $418-601 per semester, depending on level (ironically, the highest level courses are less expensive than the lower-level courses).

longvermont

Thanks, millvillemurphs, for the reply.  wow, that could be a very expensive add-on amount.  Is that a BFA or BA program?  Would you mind sharing the name?

longvermont

Thanks!!!

librarygirl

I think it is not uncommon, although I know this more from a music perspective, for example, non-majors pay higher fees for lessons or small ensembles at my son's school. Some schools have separate classes for majors and non-majors, too.