Ballet Talk for Dancers
relearning

How Long Will It Take?

relearning

Hi! Recently I have rejoined the dance school that I had attended for seven years and finally reached my goal of dancing en pointe. I danced under my instructor from the time I was six until I was thirteen. I had just barely begun pointe classes before I stopped dancing for regrettable reasons. It has been three years and I am now able to return to dancing which I am overjoyed about! However, I am curious as to how long it may take me to return to pointe. I have maintained semi-strong ankles throughout my time away from dance and still remember much of my teaching from the many years I had danced before. I am sadly, a somewhat impatient person and therefore I am curious on how long it could take to return to pointe. Any advice on strengthening and technique is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

vrsfanatic

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers relearning. May I ask that you please go to the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself there. It is always lovely to learn a bit about our new members such as some of the information in this post but also perhaps other interests you may have. Please do not include personal information. Also, please read the Rules and Regulations which at some point may be helpful to you.

As for returning to pointe, perhaps you might want to ask your teacher as your teacher will be more familiar with your specific situation. Generally speaking, one must know how to stretch the knees on demi pointe, have good foot placement on the floor, understand the usage of turn out of the legs in the hip sockets with strongly rotated heels and have a very strong body/core. How many days a week you are studying ballet may affect the decision as to when one might be strong enough to study pointe as well. Take the time to speak with your teacher so that your goals are well understood.

All the best to you.. 

Ballet Prodigy

I've always heard that it takes twice as long to get back. For example if you take one day off it will take two more to get back to where you were before. Not sure if this is true or not just what I have heard 

vrsfanatic

I have heard this too Ballet Prodigy. I do not believe it to be true. The body and soul do need to rest.

Ballet Prodigy

Ah okay. That makes sense. Good luck to relearning!