Ballet Talk for Dancers
pirouettegirl123

How to relax!

pirouettegirl123

Hello! My teacher that I have now is constantly telling me to relax and lengthen, especially my arms. I try so hard but I have no idea how to relax and sometimes I'll have it for a second then I'll tense up as the combination goes on. I forget to breathe too. Any advice on how to relax and have energy in my movements at the same time?

vrsfanatic

Pirrouettegirl123 one of the key issues with dancing with more freedom is learning to breathe. First practice breathing in and out slowly through your nose while relaxing without dancing. Feel your own natural rhythm. The next step is to breathe in and out through your nose while stretching. You must feel your breathing and hear the calmness. Deep even breathing.

Once this is understood, try it in class. At first one exercise at a time until you are able to take a whole class. This is a process. Do not expect instant success. It takes a while to undo this bad habit that should have been addressed and solved in your lower levels of ballet training.

Once you learn to breathe, the release of tension should be improving.

pirouettegirl123

Thank you!

Ballet Prodigy

Hi I have this same problem. I always just feel myself tense up and the. I adjust my body and then I think about how much I love the certain thing we are doing. For example, my left index finger gets a lot of tension and so I stick it straight up and then my teacher tells me to relax. So let's say we are doing port de bras. I just take a deep breath, fix the problem, and think about why I love port de bras. I like port de bras because they warm up my arms and make my back muscles stronger. 

vrsfanatic

Ballet Prodigy I love your idea! 😍

Ballet Prodigy

Thank you, vrsfanatic!

pirouettegirl123

Thanks sounds great!!