Ballet Talk for Dancers
Silver Stardust

One Leg More Flexible Than the Other?

Silver Stardust

Hello!!

I've been working on flexibility training since I signed up for dance lessons in hopes that I would be able to build a bit more flexibility so I could keep up with the basic content and stretches. Since I started I've found improvement coming in leaps and bounds, my right leg can extend straight all the way back and forward when going down towards front splits and in stretches; however, my left leg is nowhere near as flexible!

I've been performing the same exercises equally on both legs so it's not imbalanced stretching, but I'm unsure of what I can do to work on this. Is there some sort of extra set of exercises I should be doing for my left leg? Or should I spend extra time focusing on that leg with stretches I'm already doing? 

Victoria Leigh

It is not unusual at all for one leg to have more or less flexibility than the other!  The body is not exactly symmetrical. One foot might also have more flexibility, turns are usually better on one side than the other, etc. The best thing is to work harder on the weaker side, like if you do an exercise 10 times on the good side, do it more times on the other side. Do be sure that you learn which exercises/stretches to do, and exactly how to do them. Also, WHEN to do them! Flexibility stretches need to be done when one is warmed up. 😀 

Silver Stardust

Ohh okay, that's reassuring to know. I've noticed that with the feet in riding but I always thought that was because I worked the other one more due to that side being the horses' dominant side. I'll definitely do more exercises on that side then!  Thank you^^ I'll definitely be sure to warm up first