Ballet Talk for Dancers
notmypointe

How to grow the "right" muscles?

notmypointe

Hello, I did ballet when I was little (4 - 6 years old) but my parents pulled me out for reasons I don't need to get into. (They aren't against ballet or anything like that)

Fast forward to now: I want to get back into ballet but there are no dance classes for a 16 year-old girl who can't remember ANYTHING she was taught ten+ years ago.

I'm not aiming to go pro but I really want to look like/be as strong as/ be as flexible as a dancer.

I do 40+minutes of stretching every night and I've done weight lifting. However, my legs are very untoned compared to my arms (which to be fair aren't that toned either) I look kind of like an upside triangle.

How do I grow my leg muscles in the "right" places (and keep at least some of my toned arms)?

I understand I'll need to spend a lot of time doing moves and such which may effect the time I can spend at the gym but I'd rather look like and be as strong/flexible as a dancer then say I can lift heavy stuff. 

so sorry for this ramble. I guess i'm asking what exercises/ stretches should I do to look like/be as strong/flexible as a dancer?

vrsfanatic

I am not sure I understand your objective. If you want your muscular structure to look like a dancer then you have to take ballet. There is no other way to do it. Stretching on your own is good, but it can never replace ballet classes.

notmypointe

The problem is I have no dance studio I can use. I'd like to know how to train like a ballerina at home(sorry I didn't make my clear)

vrsfanatic

I am sorry, but there is no way to actually do this. Ballet is a serious physical activity that when not done correctly will not have the results you are aspiring to attain.

notmypointe

Alright, thank you. 

rc5678

There are sometimes open drop-in classes for older beginners, maybe you could find one in your area?

vrsfanatic

Ballet Prodigy the question was not can one give oneself class at home. The question was asking if one can learn ballet on their own without a teacher. The answer is no. I am hiding your response for Moderator review.