Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet Prodigy

I'm behind

Ballet Prodigy

Hey guys! So I've been dancing ballet for about 15 years now. I'm in the advanced class at my studio but the problem is that everyone seems to be better than me. I feel so behind in my technique. Does anybody know why? I do ballet for about 5 hours a day usually 2 are spent en pointe. I don't know if it's from having "bad" teachers when I was younger, or from me being lazy, or just my body type or what. I feel like a terrible dancer but I love ballet so much and I've dedicated so much of my life to this. I try to work on technique at home but maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any advice for how to get better ballet technique would be great! My greatest weaknesses are bent knees when they should be straight, falling out of turns, and not having high enough leg extensions. Any advice anyone? 

vrsfanatic

Ballet Prodigy 15 years is a very long time to be studying ballet and still be a teenager. I hope you mean you began pre-ballet at two, three or four and are counting that as ballet! 

Stretching the knees is a very important aspect of ballet. Have you gone to your teacher for extra help? There are exercises you can do that can help with this. Ask your teacher for exercises to help you. It is very difficult to answer your questions specifically without seeing you. Falling out of turns could have any number of reasons. I would suggest working on single turns before attempting to do more, but if your supporting knee is bent, you will continue to fall out of your turns.

You have a wonderful passion for ballet. It is very clear in your posts. Perhaps you are worrying too much about the outcome of all of your years of hard work. Ballet is an activity you can continue to do for the rest of your life and it has helped to form who you are today. There is more to learn from the study of ballet and dance than how to do it. Try to take a look at yourself objectively without negative thoughts. There is always more to do in ballet. It is a never ending process. Be kind to yourself.

Ballet Prodigy

Okay Thank you very much! And yes I did start when I was really little! My first teacher actually had me doing three hours of ballet a week by the time I was six. And I am 19 now and doing about 20 hours a week. Hahahaha! 

Ballet Prodigy

Oh and I did get some exercises from my teacher last year but I still seem to be struggling with my bent knees.

Rey

Just think that your leg is a straight pencil or something that  remains straight.  I know it sounds stupid or even childish but it can help. You could work on your preperations for pirouettes even near a barre and just focus on the keeping your leg straight constantly. So much to a point, you'll do it without thinking. 

Also Remember,

You are here to dance, not to have a competition with everyone else. Your here to dance. It doesn't matter if it seems everyone is better than you. What matters is you are here to dance.

I personally feel that way sometimes and I used to a lot more.  A lot of the times I feel that the other  dancers, who are younger than me are way better. But I had to forget about them and Remember why I am here. Why I am personally here. 

Also Everyone at some point has trouble with the technique.

Don't over due it either that can exhaust your compassion for dance and you will become frustrated. It is like, trying to to due three math courses in one year plus all your other courses in one year while maintaining a good grade. I am not  saying don't practice, I am saying when you get frustrated take a break, relax.

I hope this helps you.

Edited by Rey

Ballet Prodigy

Yeah I think this does help. I will try the pencil thing tonight. Thank you, Rey!