Ballet Talk for Dancers
pirouettegirl123

Applying corrections quickly

pirouettegirl123

Hi! I was reading an article about Mayara Pinero the other day and one of her former teachers said that she takes corrections immediately and doesn't go back to the same problem again. I thought that was really great and I try to do that in class, but even if I pay special attention to a specific issue I don't always get it perfectly right away and stay that way forever. I'll understand what my teacher is trying to get me to do but I have difficulty doing it sometimes. Can she do that just because she's Mayara Pinero 😂 or can I do something to become like that too? Sorry if this didn't make a lot of sense.

Victoria Leigh

I think that what has to be done when a dancer receives a correction, understands it, and then not only remembers it, but thinks about it and works on it outside of class, they have a great chance of making it stick.  They not only put it into their brain, they put it it into their body. It then becomes a kinetic memory the next time they do it. Remember that the brain may be, and hopefully is, very smart, but the body requires repetition, repetition, repetition! 🙄

pirouettegirl123

Thanks!

Ballet Prodigy

You can always keep a dance journal. I write down a goal for each class that I want to accomplish and then after class I go through and write down whether or not I did. And then I write down what things I accomplished during class and also what my corrections are. Then I can go back sometime when I have more time (sometimes weeks later) and work on correcting what I wrote down. This not only helps you to apply it on your own but I find that the next time I am in class it is easier to remember "oh yeah, I was supposed to fix my hips during that plie pattern." And then I focus on it better. Hopefully this makes sense, it's kinda late right now because I just got home from dance Heh heh.

pirouettegirl123

Thanks! I normally write my corrections down but setting goals sounds like a great idea!

Ballet Prodigy

It's always nice when you make your goals based on your corrections that you write down. For example, let's say your teacher told you not to pop your toes during tendus and slide through the whole foot instead, you can make that your goal for the next class and that way you know you are applying the corrections you're given.

Ballerina_Author

I keep a dance journal just like how Ballet Prodigy said it does work well for me.  I also repeat it to myself a lot and repetition does work and eventually it gets easier to apply and remember for me.

pirouettegirl123

👍