Ballet Talk for Dancers
TipToes

How do you know if a young dancer is at an "intermediate" level?

TipToes

My DD will be 12 before next summer, so this is her first year to be able to audition for summer intensives outside of her studio. I see a lot saying they are for intermediate/advanced dancers ages 12-18. How do I know if my dancer is at the intermediate level now? Can I just have her go to an audition or two this winter and let them decide? She takes five 1.5-hour ballet classes a week (took 4, 1.5 hour ballet classes a week last year), plus jazz and modern. Thanks!

L_One

Is she on pointe yet?

TipToes

She is just starting pointe.

L_One

Okay in my experience if she will be 12 and new to pointe for the summer she will be like most other 12 year olds there. Sure some will have more experience but I'd say go for it and find out. My daughter went on pointe in June - so 11.5 and then auditioned in January of the following year (so a new 12 year old).

DanceMumNYC

I agree. It doesn’t hurt to let her audition for SIs. It seems like she is on the right track with ballet classes 5x/week. I don’t think beginner-level dancers (as opposed to intermediate) take that many classes. My dd is slightly younger than yours, but the 12 year olds at her school have similar year-round schedules. At the summer programs she attended, there were 12 year olds who weren’t on pointe yet. They were simply placed in pre-pointe. 

TipToes

Thank you, L_One and DanceMumNYC. I was hoping that "intermediate" for a 12-year old would be less than "intermediate" for an older dancer. Sounds like she can go ahead and audition if she finds the right program, and her AD thinks she's ready to go away.

Bavalay

TipToes, At my DD12 school there does not seem to be a category for intermediate young dancer and intermediate older teen dancer.  And I'm not sure that it matters that much.  I think it's a great idea for your DD to start auditioning for summer courses that will be coming up.  You can begin looking at schools on their websites for audition dates and information on specific criteria (technique shoes, ponite shoes, dress code, length of training expected or level of achievement) along with her to select those that are a good match.  You can also get information on fee for audition and cost for the summer to help prepare.  And if info for 2019 is not yet up, you can see those things from 2018 to get an idea.  Best to your DD as she moves to the next level of being a ballet student.