Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Jennsnoopy

Principal Role Stamina

Jennsnoopy

I’m looking for suggestions or maybe just stories on how your dancer who were cast in a significant principal role(s) acquired the stamina throughout all the rehearsals and through to show.

My DD, 13, is cast as Clara and is also the lead in a musical (with dancing). Musical show runs in October,  Nutcracker in December. So far September’s rehearsal schedules for both shows are significant. DD is hanging in there well (3 1/2 weeks into rehearsals for both shows), but she said today she actually felt kind of tired. 

We are making sure she is eating well and getting enough sleep. School is balanced ok, it’s just the increased in her dancing and she has to get her body use to it. 

Thanks.

loveballet

I do not have any advice for the curing the stamina, but we had a similar situation last year. 

My DD was Clara and doing YAGP prep at the same time, so she ends up with fully packed rehearsal schedule. In addition, she is on-pointe just about a year, and both are pointe role, so I worried about the injury a lot. To my surprise, my daughter spoke up when needed and dance with flat shoes during some rehearsal alternatively. and change sequence with other Clara so avoids the situation where she dances on pointe several hours straight and tries to get some rest time in between. We are fortunate to have the caring faculty to have no problem to do this and my daughter feels safe to speak. 

My advice to your daughter is listening to her body and take steps to take care of it.. 

threegirlpileup

My dd is really focused on building up her stamina in anticipation of performances in December. She is spending 20-30 minutes on the elliptical at the gym every day she possibly can (which ends up being 4-5 times/week).  And running her variation a couple of times at the end of class when she can.  Taking an extra ballet class a week.  Making sure she's doing pointe as often as possible.

dancingjet

One thing that helped my DD was running variations twice in a row. The other thing was getting as much rest for her body and mind as possible so that she wasn't running herself ragged.

Edited to add that you may find the role of Clara isn't quite as taxing as other soloist/principal roles. It will depend on the production she's in. At DD's studio, young Clara was in party scene and had her variation, had some acting during battle, danced some in snow, and danced some in Act 2. But the stamina needed for that wouldn't compare to the stamina that Sugar Plum, Dew Drop or Snow Queen needed, for example, or dancers in multiple act 2 variations and/or snow or flower corps.

Jennsnoopy

Thanks everyone. Our Clara dances party scene, part of snow, sugar plum court, Russian, and part of flowers. Defiantly not like being snow queen or any of the act II soloists but currently dancing in a lot of rehearsals. Maybe it just feels like more because she is also dancing a lot in her musical rehearsals as well. I appreciate the help. :) 

dancingjet

Having two different productions and sets of rehearsals simultaneously would definitely be tiring! :)