Ballet Talk for Dancers
David Malcolm

Daddy of 14yo passionate dancer

David Malcolm

Hi....my 14yo daughter is passionate about ballet.  She aspires to be a pro dancer in a ballet company someplace.  Her passion appeared sometime in 2013 or 2014 when I was away doing my BEd in Canada  (we live in Korea).  One inspiring source was reading "An Usbourne Guide to Baĺlet".

We are currently looking for a good quality baĺlet academy in Korea.  She has been thru two.  The problem with them in Korea so far from our experience is that they are money-oriented.  They mostly know how to manipulate parents in paying more money.  The last academy was even affiliated and recommended by the Korean branch of RAD.  We left because there was bullying (among the kids) going on that the teacher left unchecked and all they seemed to be only interested in getting more money from parents. The ballet instructor, according to DD, showed favourtism to those pupils in her class that paid more  (in more private lessons or "special classes).

We are happy to be here.

David Malcolm

Thanks for the link.  I'll look at this school.  We're losing faith in any professional training in Korea and are thinking overseas training is the only path to professional career.

Why?  B/C Korea is so competitive academically to enter a good quality univ by getting good marks on the Korea SAT here.  All schools are geared for that.

Fraildove

When looking at schools, ask for their track record in placing students as professional dancers when they graduate. There are several, and right now some of the best training I’ve seen recently is coming out of Korea. I do know that the schools with the best training are very competitive to get in, just like other top level institutions all over the world! I wish you the best in finding the right training for your dancer. And a very big welcome here as well!

dancemaven

The best place to focus questions on finding a pre-pro ballet school is in the Finding a Pre-Pro Ballet School forum.  The threads there are listed alphabetically by state—and country—and some are broken down more regionally or by city.  

Here is the link for the thread on schools in Korea:  https://dancers.invisionzone.com/topic/56694-ballet-schools-in-korea/?tab=comments#comment-549892