Ballet Talk for Dancers

Develope a la seconde

doormouse

I know there are other threads on this, but | can't find one which answers my particular question!

So, doing syllabus classes, and also PBT (Progressing Ballet technique) I have discovered that I have more turn-out and higher extensions than I have any ability to use.  So my legs will go higher and turnout further, but I can't get them there or hold them there!

My big issue at the moment is develope, and indeed anything with the leg off the floor in second.  My tendu turns out reasonably well (it'll never be 180, but it is identifiable as second!)  As soon as I start to lift the leg straight off the floor, or to extend it from retire, I can feel the quads engage, and the leg starts to turn in.  If my teacher takes my foot whilst held off the floor and turns it out, I can feel the head of my femur shift in my hip socket (not as gross as it sounds, it kind of feels like it 'falls' and the position is much more comfortable, and more natural!), but I can't get to that position myself.

I think PBT is helping, but are there any exercises I can do to help isolate the muscles I should be using?  I am going to book a few private lessons when I can afford it to address this (and other) issues.  I just know that doing four classes per week (plus teaching assistanting - I'm blooming shattered!) is no good if I'm using the wrong muscles in all of them!

I have the EXACT same issue, especially with the quads, it's frustrating but I've only been taking classes for a few weeks so hopefully I can correct it before it becomes a habit.

I used to struggle with this when I was 14-15 but I don't anymore. I don't know if I did something in my training to address it or if I was building the right muscle gradually in class. Whatever it is I feel your pain, it's so frustrating when you don't have the muscles to move your body, but it won't be forever 😊

Miss Persistent
17 hours ago, doormouse said:

I think PBT is helping, but are there any exercises I can do to help isolate the muscles I should be using?  I am going to book a few private lessons when I can afford it to address this (and other) issues.  I just know that doing four classes per week (plus teaching assistanting - I'm blooming shattered!) is no good if I'm using the wrong muscles in all of them!

It's great that you've identified you might be using the incorrect muscles so good on you!!  You are exactly right that using the wrong muscles again and again will only make it all worse.  Yes PBT should help (it is a great program), and you could also look for other exercises like pilates or floor barre that isolate your deep turnout muscles.  I am not a huge fan of the traditional Pilates "clam" as I don't feel it functionally relates to ballet enough - but it does find those little rotators if done well.  Also exercises that work your deep core (deep abdominals and deep back stabilizers) will help with extensions.   You can try things like practicing developpe 2nd laying on your back or side, or using something like a strap or flexi-stretcher standing up to help take the "weight' of the leg while you work on the rotation aspect of the developpe.  In class, lower your leg height initially and aim for correct muscle firing, placement, and rotation - as you begin to build the correct placement and are able to fully access your rotation, then gradually increase the leg height without loosing the beautiful technique you have just established. And just be patient - it can take a while to re-train muscles sometimes (they think they know best sometime) so just be persistent 👍