Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lillyanna

Required Pointe Shoe?

Lillyanna

Hi! I just had to move studios because my studio moved and it became too long of a drive. The studio I just moved to said that I needed to go en pointe immediately and they then told me precisely what shoe to get. They require all of their students to get the exact same shoe.  Is this normal? I don't really have any experience in this but it seemed a little bit odd to me. Is this something that I should be worried about? I tried talking to the teacher about this but all she said was that this was the shoe that I needed. Which really didn't make any sense to me, how could she know what I need?

Victoria Leigh

Lilly Anna, you are right that this is not right. No one brand of shoe is right for every dancer. However, if you are still committed to this school, then go for a fitting at the best place for pointe shoe fitting you can find, and try them on. If the fitter suggests different shoes, then have a conversation with the director of the school again. 

Lillyanna

That's what I thought. It just didn't seem quite right to me.

I did have my pointe shoe fitting and we tried on two different types of shoes that I was not allowed to get but one of them fit me so nicely, I just loved them! So the store actually called my studio and asked if I was allowed to get them because they fit me so much better and the studio said that I was not allowed to get them. So we bought the pointe shoes that I was required to get and I took them to my teacher and that was when I had the conversation with her. I had to get those pointe shoes because I had my first pointe class the next day and I couldn't go without any shoes and the studio wasn't going to change their mind! I do think that some of the older girls get whatever pointe shoes fit them best and ignore what the studio says but since I'm just starting here I don't want to get in trouble for doing the "wrong" thing.

Is this something that should be so concerning that I should be looking for a different studio?

Victoria Leigh

I can't answer that, Lillyanna. It is possible that the teachers/director feel strongly about one particular shoe being best for beginning pointe. I have a problem with that, but I would need to see the quality of the teaching at the school, and also hear the reasoning behind their decision.  If you feel that you have found the best training in your city, then it might be best to stay there. If not sure, at least look around at other schools. Convenience of location does not always provide the best school.  

Also, read our topics on quidelines for training in terms length and number of classes recommended for students at various ages and stages of advancement. We don't know  your former training or current training levels/number of classes/length of classes, etc.  

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/topic/54924-general-age-appropriate-training-guidelines/

Lillyanna

Meatball77, This is one specific shoe. 

Mrs. Leigh, 

I don't think that I've found the best thing. I think that there has got to be something better. I'm really disappointed with the lack of technique at all of the studios I have visited! I picked this studio because I didn't have any more time to look for a place and because I thought that they would be better than anything else I've found. But I'm still really disappointed with a lot of things about this studio. I'd like to look at other studios but because of my class schedule, I have no free days to visit other studios. The thing is, I started ballet last year, so I don't know as many of the steps as most ballet students at my age would, but I have the technique of students at or above my age. And I really want a studio that will help me to improve my technique because I feel that it is going to be very easy to lose everything I've learned so far and I want to get better, not worse! 

Victoria Leigh

Lillyanna, I believe there is a major professional company in your city, or very close to it. If you can’t get to their school, then at least contact them, or have your mom contact them, and ask for a school recommendation in your area.  They might be able to help you. 😊