Ballet Talk for Dancers
RandomDancer

Frustrating Alignment Issues

RandomDancer

Hello! I’ve been having alignment issues since I was little. I always have been rather self conscious about how big my behind looks compared to the rest of my body, and all of my teachers had been trying to help me correct my alignment.  I recently encountered a new teacher who tried correcting my alignment and (I think) succeeded. The problem, as I understand it, was that my weight was over my heel, making my pelvis/tailbone stick out. My teacher made me focus on keeping a straight line from my foot to the top of my hip (from the front). I thought about my alignment almost all throughout classes, and after a few weeks of focusing on on this correction, she stopped giving it to me, and I thought I had it down. I have multiple teachers during the week, and one of them felt really strongly about how my bottom was sticking out. I found this sort of discouraging.  As I said earlier, many teachers had tried to correct this issue. I don’t know if my but is just large, or if I’m not working hard enough, or if my teacher just doesn’t understand my physicality. Perhaps I just need a simple explanation of what proper alignment is... Thanks! 

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk fr Dancers, RandomDancer. :)

Before I try to answer your question I'm going to give you a link to a post you need to read.  After you read that, please provide us with a bit more information about you and your training. We need to know your age, how long you have been studying ballet, what level you are in and how many technique and pointe classes you take per week. Just come back after reading the linked post and let me know if that helped.  

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/topic/35504-sticky-clara76s-post-on-alignment/

RandomDancer

Thank you! I don’t know where else I’m supposed to let you know more about myself, so I guess I’ll put it here... (it’s fine if you take it down).  I have been studying ballet for a little over five years.  It looks like my training has been following the posted minimum guidelines pretty well.  I am in an intermediate/advanced level and have four technique classes, three pointe classes, and one technique on pointe class, plus some other non-ballet classes.  I saw some good points on the link you gave me, but I don’t think my problem relates as much to hyperextension. I am not hyperextended at all. Thank you for your help.  

Edited by RandomDancer

Victoria Leigh

Do you have a problem with getting your knees totally straight?

RandomDancer

No, I don’t. I used to though. 

BalletRachel

I always had problems with alignment, and extension in certain positions. I ended up being diagnosed with a very mild scoliosis. It’s something you may want to get checked.