Ballet Talk for Dancers
criadancer

Should I quit dance?

criadancer

Hello,

I'm 15 and I'm thinking that this upcoming Nutcracker may be my last. I've been dancing since I was 7 and I although I love it more than anything else, I feel I cannot continue. I am very inflexible, don't have good turnout, and have a lot of fear while doing certain steps (like turns en pointe and triple jazz turns). My body just wasn't made for dance and all the issues I mentioned mean that I cannot do ballet professionally. I wanted to quit last season as well, and it broke my teacher's heart. We talked for a long time and she mentioned that although I can't do ballet, I have other options. I tried to explore them, but ballet is really the only thing I want to do. I feel lost thinking I won't have dance, and my family won't either as it's brought us all together. I just can't continue to try work towards something that isn't achievable, even though I'm terrified of having to find something else to do. I also don't think my family can continue to afford dance and I don't want to keep wasting money on it. 

Should I quit? And if I do quit, how do I break it to everyone the second time? How do I get my family to believe this is really the end? 

I'm having a talk with my teacher this week about career options and possibly quitting. I'll let you all know what she says and what I end up doing.

Victoria Leigh

Criadancer, come back to us when you have had the talk with your teacher.  Keep in mind, though, that while ballet is not a career option for everyone, it can still be something you love and enjoy doing. A very small percentage of young dancers will achieve professional status, but they dance because that is what they love to do. :)

Clara 76

Does your family know you are having these struggles?

criadancer

I chatted with my teacher and we decided that I should pursue a career in Jazz or Modern. I like both styles, but ballet will always be my first love. I'm going to try my hardest to fall in love with jazz as well and get myself out of this disappointment stage. It hit me hard but I'm going to keep dancing until college and revisit the topic then.  

Victoria Leigh

I understand how you feel about ballet, criadancer, but there is no reason that you cannot continue to take classes while also studying Jazz and/or Modern.  I'm glad to hear that you plan to keep dancing. :)