Ballet Talk for Dancers
balletmom101010

How Many College Applications

balletmom101010

How many colleges is your dancer applying to?  Assuming he/she is applying for B.F.A. or B.A. in dance. . . Thanks!

threegirlpileup

Following....we are still a year out from applying ourselves.  We're planning on about 10 schools.

Lady Elle

We did this last year.  She applied for 7 universities and 1 training program.

Lady Elle

Also, for any juniors out there that are considering audutioning for IU, I highly recommend attending their summer program.  Those attending the summer program had the opportunity to be invited to the audition (bypassing video prescreen).

Amie

DD applied to 8 universities last year.   Also, I highly recommend sifting through some of the discussions about previous experiences with the college application process.  Check through the discussions listed under pre-professional schools, higher education, and colleges/universities with ballet programs.  There is a lot of good information, lessons learned, reviews, etc. in those discussions. 

dancingjet

DD applied to 8 schools with BA/BFA programs, and 3 other schools near good training in case nothing else worked out. (This was last year.) Of those 8 she traveled for 5 auditions. 3 BA programs did not require auditions and she viewed them as safety schools.

ballet1310

DD had 6 on list but we decided to audition for 4. ( this was last year) 

Nyathina

Following. My DD is a junior and we are starting to think through where she plans to apply. 

dancemaven

You can “follow” this thread by clicking on the little “Follow” box at the top of the page . . . .

Amie’s recommendation to review other threads from past experiences regarding applying to college, as well as the individual college program dedicated threads is a good one.  No need to re-invent the wheel each year.  It is helpful to re-visit and add to the collective experience.  :wink:

Dewaltz

My DD applying to 6 with auditions and considering adding 2 more, depending on how the fall audition results turn out. 

whippet2me

My DD is applying to 10- schools with BA/BFA programs-5 of them have pre-screening videos, all have auditions all out of state 😬It is mind boggling how our kids are able take challenging high school classes, Nutcracker rehearsals, pre-professional ballet classes,way too many college essays, videos and auditions!!!

I spent all of last year reading the threads of the class of 18 to get ready for this year. THANK YOU class of 18!!! 

I'm normally such a calm person- this is such a test of my character :) 

ballet1310

That’s good to hear that many are now pre-screening . We were at auditions last year that people flew in for and their dancers didn’t even make the cut for solos . 

Its important to understand where the dancer is at in terms of getting into schools.  Not saying that to be discouraging to anyone - it’s just the same process as if someone wanted to go to an engineering program etc 

threegirlpileup
3 hours ago, ballet1310 said:

Its important to understand where the dancer is at in terms of getting into schools.  Not saying that to be discouraging to anyone - it’s just the same process as if someone wanted to go to an engineering program etc 

I actually think this is part of what makes it so difficult.  While obviously we know which schools are more competitive and which are less competitive, but it's not like you can look up a school profile and get some idea of how likely it is that your particular dancer will get in this particular year.  We are doing our best to pick a range of programs that seem like a good fit, but who knows how it will all go?!?

ballet1310

Of course threegirlpileup ! No one knows :)  We took a couple off the list purely because they were not really ballet programs - more modern based and becausecwhen we searched alumni , they weren’t in classical ballet companies do that narrowed it down for us.  Again, pre screening is great !  It all seems overwhelming now but just take one audition st a time!

librarygirl

I think applying to engineering schools is WAY easier - gpa and test scores give you a very good idea of where you stand. With audition-based programs, it's much more difficult!