Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mom de deux

Nutcracker 2018 (for the under 13 crowd)

Mom de deux

I hope it's OK that I start the companion thread to one that is going on in the over 13 forum. How are things going with your Nut season?

Our casting is finally completed, and DD7 (will be 8 by performance time) is over the moon to be a polichinelle. It's the best she could have hoped for at her age/level and a huge upgrade over her role as a little mouse last year, which she thought she'd have to reprise. I had an enjoyable mom moment last night as DD14 was answering all of her little sister's questions/concerns about Mother Ginger's skirt and maneuvering out of/under/into it. My older DD was a poli for 2 years at about this age and it will be fun to see my younger one in the same costume this year.

DanceDaddy

Let me see... My wife who agreed to a major volunteer part, has been suckered into another major volunteer part. So essentially, my weekends are shot between now and December.

I was fine with the first volunteer part, but the 2nd I wasn't a fan of. I get her point, if she doesn't do it, then the AD ends up doing it. Who needs to be running rehearsals. What I really hope is that she goes to the board and says that she won't do it for the spring show. And if someone else doesn't step up, then I guess you can't have a spring ballet.

Venting a little! Just a little... lol.

That all said, my daughter got the part she wanted. For that matter, she is paired with a good friend, who she has been paired with in the past. And she was cast into a 2nd part, due to her height. Her height might hold her back in the future, so enjoy it while she can!

The nut is a nut.

Butter

My daughter had her very first audition this season, a few weeks before she turned 6.  It's for a well respected collegiate production, and they had over 70 girls audition, ages 6-14.  We went really just for the experience, and we were both shocked when she was cast as a tiny angel (she was the smallest one to even audition- that coveted #1).  We're both loving every minute of it, and she looks even tinier dancing next to the sugar plum fairy and big angels.  I'm thinking of getting the big angels a little something as a thank you for being so kind to my little one on opening night- any experienced parents have any good ideas?

TipToes

My DD is over the moon to be playing Clara this year. She younger than the typical Clara's at her studio, and it will be a lot of work, but like so many DD's, she's been dreaming of this role since she saw her very first Nutcracker. 

Congrats to all! 

5678StarMom

Butter - Search Merde gifts on this board and google/pinterest. It's very appropriate to get a little token for the other angels, very traditional. Plus it's super sweet that you were thinking of it. 

Congrats to all! My DD8 (turning 9 in November) is in her first Nut this year with her older sister. She is a little snowflake and petite fleur. I have been tickled to have her be so excited to be cast in the big corps scenes with the big girls and to have her realize that she has to put her time in before she can dance more. She is all "I just pose and change poses the whole dance practically." Makes me giggle. She's been watching her big sister and didn't realize this is what comes before all difficult dancing roles. She isn't unhappy with her roles, on the contrary loves them, but she was surprised.

Bavalay

Congratulations to all DDs and DSs who will be in the Nutcracker this season (and to parents too that are helping their dancer get to and from, all while juggling the rest of life's demands!). Cheers

Anatrat

My 6 year old is in her ballet schools Nutcracker production for the 2nd year. She was an Angel and a cookie last year and this year she is an angel, cookie, lead cookie, mouse, and party scene boy (she's in 2 of the 3 casts). So quite a step up, she has 3 hour rehearsals on Sundays. This school's Nutcracker is the only version I've ever seen. I'm doing ticket taking so I don't get to watch this year but I'll peek in from time to time.

TinydancersNJ

My little one gets to be the littlest party girl, I was so excited she finally got to be in the party scene, she had been a mouse for 3 years!

My oldest is a maid in the party scene and was cast as a flower corps understudy but now has to/gets to dance the role since one dropped out.  Her most exciting role is as the Ginger girl (big girl lead with the gingersnaps) her first solo role.  

I'm having a hard time focusing on Nutcracker now even though its just weeks away (and I'm the costumer!) because cast list came out for our spring ballet, Sleeping Beauty, and my older daughter is cast in a duet as little red riding hood!!!!

balletmom676

This my daughter's first Nutcracker, and she was cast as Clara's Friend and in Flowers. She's over the moon excited. Previous years we were at a training program that did not allow Nutcracker participation. 😞 She is also in a local professional variety show that has a mini Nutcracker feature...basically Clara and Fritz along with some toys and the Sugar Plum Fairy. She was cast as Clara for that portion of the show. While it is not THE Nutcracker, she was pretty excited to get the role. Congrats to everyone!

mommamoni

I took my daughter(10) to her first ever open audition. We were doing it for the experience. She was cast! We were both surprised & happy! It's with a major organization in our area. She's already talking about auditioning for their next open audition show 😊

Congrats to all & have fun!

AmyMary

We are in the midst of daily rehearsals and no life, argh!

The one advantage to being in a small town is that you are cast in more roles. DD is in party scene, battle scene, demisolo in snow, and flowers, whew!

It wouldn't be so rough if I didn't have a toddler and a 45 minute commute.