Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
dancingninja

1st Arabesque Photo - En releve or not?

dancingninja

Tried to do a search but didn't see this topic come up.

Just wondering, for males, should an audition photo in 1st arabesque be en releve or not. Would love to get a quick pulse on what your DSs have done for their audition photos. We're taking photos soon for the upcoming SI auditions.

We've always done arabesque on flat, but as he gets older, is there an expectation for it to be en releve, just as the girls are supposed to do it en pointe?

Fraildove

Our son who was 10 turning 11 last year and turning 12 this year did his on Demi-pointe. But at younger ages I think it is also appropriate on flat as well unless asked specifically. 

Madelyn

DS is 18 and has graduated from his pre pro school and gone on to higher level pre pro dance with a company....in his 8 years of SI audition photo packages we have NEVER gone to relève. He has always been accepted by his chosen SIs. It is not expected as they see what they need of feet from tendu photos 

Edited by Madelyn

slhogan

I went back and looked at my son's pics. He did his pics on flat until he was 16 at which time he did them on releve. He had excellent SI offers, so being on flat did not seem to negatively impact him. 

dancingninja

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like both are acceptable for audition photos. 🙂