Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
dancermom5

IABD auditions

dancermom5

DD will be attending the IABD ballet audition this year in Ohio was wondering if anyone had experience or gotten offers from attending? Thanks.

Sugarmama

DD17 has attended the past 3 years (ballet and multi-company auditions, did not attend the full conference or any masterclasses), and one year I went with her.  Overall great experiences, she has received multiple offers with scholarships ranging from 50% tuition to 100% tuition plus housing and it has been her most cost-effective summer intensive audition.  This year, since she is looking for a job rather than summer training she will do a masterclass or two and the ballet audition. 

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about it. 

AngelaK

Can you please tell me what this program is? I don’t think I have heard of it before. 

dancermom5

Thanks so much Sugarmama, my daughter is looking to get a 2th company apprenticeship, this year too. We were wondering which companies go to the audition and which ones were offering  2th company / apprentice offers as opposed to just summer offers? We also were wondering about the master class.

Sugarmama

The audition is put on by IABD (International Association for Blacks in Dance https://www.iabdassociation.org/) during their annual convention that moves between several prominent black dance companies (Denver, LA, Philadelphia, Dallas, Dayton) it has classes, performances, vendors etc., and they started a Ballet Audition for Women of Color  (last year they added a mens audition too) where there were about 15 ballet companies attending.  It was a no-cut audition given by some pretty famous teachers like Robert Garland, Lauren Anderson, etc.  I don't have a list of companies confirmed for this year, it will be posted on their website at some point.   It was pretty varied, everything from SAB to Dance Theatre of Harlem, Oregon Ballet Theatre, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, San Francisco Ballet, Texas Ballet Theatre, PNB, Kansas City  are some I can remember ... I can't really say which companies were offering what.  DD has gotten an increasing amount of summer intensive and 2nd company offers each year, last year she got 7. 

There is also a multi-company audition for IABD members that is more contemporary-focused.  Master classes are separate from the convention fees, already scheduled on conference part of website, and you can purchase them ala carte whether you are an IABD member or not.  DD wants to take class with Aesha Ash so she might do that this year.  Information is on their website, will be more as it gets closer. 

dancermom5

This is so helpful thank you :) if you don’t mind me asking which companies offered your daughter 2 company? 

Taxi dance

Can anyone audition?

Bavalay

https://www.iabdassociation.org/page/Ballet2019

Taxi dance, here is a link for an audition in January.  The organization is for women and men of color.  Persons of color who meet the criteria on the website audition.  You can explore the website to see if this is an organization for your dancer to join (there are annual fees for categories such as student, professional, and organizations).

Sugarmama

Yes Taxi dance, as I heard them explain "Anyone that wants to be in our space can audition."   There are videos on their website where you can see what the audition is like.   

Eligus

What an incredible and lovey opportunity for dancers of color...  Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge, Sugarmama.