Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet_27

Starting en pointe at 15

Ballet_27

I’m 13 currently and I do ballet online, Ive been doing it online for about a year. I was just wondering if I could start pointe at 14 or 15 because I really want to do ballet and I really love it! But I just don’t know, people tell me that I can’t do pointe if I’m 14 or 15 because you “have” to start at 9, 10, 11, or 12 not 15!! I few of my friends that do ballet say that my feet are perfect for en pointe. But I just do not know. I feel like I’m ready but at the same time I don’t, help???

rc5678

Out of curiosity, how do you do ballet online? If you have a teacher, they can gauge your readiness and tell you.

Ballet_27

I just watch videos on how to do basic ballet and other stuff. Quite simple really, but I don’t have an actual teacher to tell me if I’m ready. 

Victoria Leigh

RC567, please remember the YD Forum rule about not posting before a Teacher Moderator responds. I left your post only because it asked a question which was answered by the original poster.  

Ballet-27, I’m sorry, but one simply cannot learn classical ballet without a teacher. You may ‘learn’ some things about ballet, but doing it takes place in a studio, with, hopefully, a highly qualified teacher. It is a hands on process, especially in the early years. 

Also, do not listen to your friends. They are wrong in terms of the age for pointe work. Qualifications for that depend on several years of consistent training, which can happen around 11 or 12, but sometimes it happens later if the training starts later. There are physical ability and technique issues involved, and these things need to be ascertained by a teacher, not by a video. 

Studios also provide the proper space, and especially flooring, that are essential for learning and executing ballet. PLEASE GET TO A TEACHER AND A STUDIO!  Do not continue trying to do what you are doing. It is dangerous, and will get you nowhere.  

I strongly suggest that you read our pinned topic entitled “Facts of Life About Pointe Work”:

rc5678

Sorry Ms. Leigh- I'll remember in the future.