Ballet Talk for Dancers
AmyMary

Mom of dancer

AmyMary

Hello there, I am mother to a 12 yo aspiring ballet dancer. She has taken ballet since 4 and has been en pointe for a year. We live in a small town without the resources bigger cities have and are hoping to audition for our first summer intensive this year.

labrador

All the best!

Pegasus

Hi AmyMary,

Be sure that you are not paying for instructors who are students themselves and who are teaching for a cheap price. Many dance schools, especially competition schools hire ballet teachers who are cheap, young and who are in college learning how to dance and trying to get a dance degree. If your daughter wants to be a ballet dancer then I strongly suggest a ballet academy with instructors with a long and detailed resume. You can gain access to teacher's information on the school's website under "faculty." I have a lot to say on this topic because I was in the same boat and I had to leave home early in order to get the upper level training that my small town couldn't offer me.   I'll share my dance story with you, or there might be a way for me to private share on here. 

Pegasus

dancemaven

Welcome,  AmyMary!  We are glad you have found us and look forward to you participating in our many discussions.  :D  We have a Parents Forum for just your DD’s age group where you will find many kindred souls.  We also have wonderful Teacher-Moderators that can help allay training concerns.  Many wonderful ballet teachers can be found in small towns across the nation.  

Please do take a little time to nose around our lovely Board to get a good feel for what we have to offer.  Drop in on whatever threads (new and old) that catch your fancy and see the experience, wisdom, and guidance that has been collected here by all our members who have gone before us on this journey.

As for SIs, we have a whole Forum with dedicated threads for the more popular and/or well-known programs where we have collected first-hand information, questions, and answers by our members.  It is a great research tool as you and your DD embark on her first SI auditioning and attendance experience.  Note there are two threads for each program (one for program information and experiences, and the other for the audition process, planning, and travel).

In addition, we have a SI General Discussion Forum where we have many, many threads that discuss all manner of topics that relate to SIs, along with a FAQ forum, which houses many topics that come up over and over.  It is a good place to look for basic questions regarding the whole audition process as well as basic attendance issues.

Pull up a chair, your favorite beverage, and enjoy exploring!  :D  We look forward to getting to know you and are happy to have you along with us on this journey. 

AmyMary

Thanks for the insight, Pegasus! The studio we are at now is run by a former professional dancer in a reputable ballet company. There are zero competitions aside from a handful of girls who want to do YAGP.

Before that we were part of a ballet school more like the aforementioned with no pre professional track so I know what you are talking about.😉