Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kerrida

Six Month in Review

Kerrida

Well, as it is closing in on six months since I took my first class, I thought I would reflect back a bit on everything. It is really strange because it doesn't feel that long ago, yet at the same time it feels like it was forever ago. Class is probably what I look forward to the most each week, and I could not be more thankful to my friend who pushed me to finally give it a chance. Everyone here has been an immense help as well when I was first stepping into things, and I owe you a massive thank you.

I had no idea what would become of things when I first walked into the studio. Truthfully, just walking in was a massive accomplishment in itself. It did feel like it was sink or swim as I was just inundated by so much new information, and trying to process it all was night futile. After a couple months I moved up to two classes a week, and that made a world of difference for absorbing everything. It also had the benefit of making the wait for my next class far more bearable!

Even with the second class, it was a slow process. I forget how many times after class I'd be asking a question that often answered with some form of "stop analyzing the how's and why's and just try it". That didn't make any sense to me at the time as I was locked in thinking that I needed t understand the mechanics in order to be able to get my body to do the things I was being instructed to do. I think my teacher has finally broken me of that though, well, mostly. It's hard work, but it is exceedingly rewarding. 

The other day I actually realized that I had made more progress than I thought. When I first started I felt like I was flailing worse than the line dancing scene in Cool Runnings. Something as simple as closing front then back during tendu at the barre would make me feel all sorts of tangled up, and développés were virtually anathema to any semblance of balance. I always would absolutely dread the part of class where we went across the floor as nothing would work right, granted I'd look at my feet the whole time due to a combination of concentration and anxiety. I realized that for the last month or so I've not only been able to reliably do développés during center work, but I've not been staring at my feet and everything has gotten more smooth. Oh hey, look at that, you stop over-analyzing things and your body starts to figure it out!

There's far more I could say, but I probably don't need to spend hours gushing here. I am exceedingly happy that I got up the courage to start class, and it has ensnared me completely. It's been an amazing six months, and I can not wait to see what the next six bring!

fun en face

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing your journey.

It's been three years since my first class and I am just realizing how much I still don't know! The challenge IS the best part for sure. 

Keep it up!

Chasse Away

Congrats I’m glad you are finding so much joy and accomplishment in dance!

I’ve danced forever and as a life long student I sometimes forget to keep track of the progress I make in 6 months or a year. To me sometimes my ability seems stagnate but it’s really not, things just start feeling easier and more natural but I am not hyper aware of it. In the last few years I’ve make leaps and bounds of progress in my technique and style! I guess it’s kind of like the boiling frog, the progress is slow so you don’t notice on a day to day basis, but months really can make a difference. Maybe I should film myself more to track my progress....