Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kelley

Hello!

Kelley

Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to meet you all! I'm brand new to the forum, and haven't taken a ballet class since elementary school. I was a "ballet mom" for several years though, and have always had a desire to learn more about classical ballet. I came upon this forum when searching (literally) for middle aged women who want to take a beginner ballet class.  Apparently there are a few of us out there!  What a treasure trove you have here.  I can't wait to explore it (and taking a class) further.  I have found a local studio and plan to drop in to see if it's for me or not.  Wish me luck!

Redbookish

Welcome, to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Kelley. Glad you found us.

And YESSS! the popularity of ballet classes for adult students is growing all the time. People are realising that learning this beautiful art is not simply for long-limbed 12 year olds, but that it brings joy (and considerable health benefits) to people of any age.

I hope you've found a good supportive and well-taught class, with a teacher who knows what they're doing in teaching adults. I've been blessed with several teachers like that in my life.

And I'm celebrating my 60th birthday tomorrow by attending two and a half hours of classes with a teacher who keeps on giving so much: knowledge, care, and inspiration - as well as dancey challenging joyous classes!

Pegasus

Hi Kelly,

I have taught adult ballet for 30 years now! Redbookish is correct. Find a teacher who knows what they are doing with adults. I would try to audit a class before paying for a series etc. Have fun.

Kelley

Thanks for your responses (and happy birthday Redbookish).  I will definitely audit a class before purchasing.  The most conveniently located class I've been able to find so far is a floor barre ballet class.  They also offer beginning ballet, but for those with at least 2 years experience.  There is also a class I want to check out that isn't as convenient, but is a true beginner adult class.  Pegasus.. I wish you were here in MD!