Ballet Talk for Dancers
pirouettegirl123

Using arms from the back

pirouettegirl123

Hello! I have been told that I use too much of my arms from the elbow down rather than using them from my back. How do I feel the correct muscles? My teacher has explained and she said that sometimes I have it but I still don't completely understand.

She also said that a lot of times I straighten my elbows too much and then my hands just dangle off my arms and they're kind of dead-looking. Could these issues be connected?

Victoria Leigh

The issues are definitely connected. These problems are not really unusual for young dancers with long limbed and loose/flexible bodies. Using your back muscles should have been taught a long time ago, when first learning port de bras. However, this is not always done. Think back to some of your previous training, and maybe you will remember teachers who did try to help you find those back muscles!  It's not that hard, but it really cannot be taught here. It needs hands on correction and help to find and use them. If your teachers are not doing this, maybe you need to find someone who will.

pirouettegirl123

Okay thank you!