Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancer.chick63

College Training vs. Pre-professional/Year-round Training

dancer.chick63

I am a junior in high school and I've come to a tough decision. I can't decide whether I should attend a college training program and then join a company, or attend a pre-professional or year-round ballet program before trying to get into a company. From what I have read about professionals in the companies I am looking at (Milwaukee Ballet, Boston Ballet, Kansas City Ballet, San Francisco Ballet), pretty much all of them attended year-round programs and only a few attend a college program. I would attend college anyway to get a degree in something other than dance if that affects the answer you might give. If anyone can offer advice of any kind I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Amie

I think this decision tends to be a personal one and the answer will be different for each person.  Many dancers audition for both types of programs and then decide.   Some things that might impact your choice...

• The type of company you aspire to join (you have obviously already done research in this area).
  • Finances, scholarships, etc.
  • Type of training and opportunities you will receive (look at your typical day at various programs pre-pro and college- what classes do you have, who are your teachers, performance opportunities, etc.)
  • Your academic accomplishments and aspirations (are you a good fit for college and is college a good fit for you?)
  • The life experience of college is often very different from being in a pre-pro program.

Another alternative might be deferring an attendance to a college that accepts you and you wish to attend.  Many will allow you to defer a year or two (some longer) if you are doing something that will increase your maturity and/or life education.  You may want to do some research into various college and pre-pro programs (there are threads for most of the programs here on BTFD).  Remember there is no one right path that leads to that dream job.  So, look for one that will be the right fit for you.

Momof3darlings

dancer.chick63-my daughter did both her Senior year.  You might want to search here about Plan A and Plan B, there will be several people's stories to help you.   But for her, she auditioned for college dance programs, for college admittance not in dance programs and also auditioned for companies so that she had the hope of options.  She did not consider any unpaid positions, so for her it was a paid company position of some sort or she would go to college.  She did not want a gap year or another paid training program at that time.  It was a crazy time, but that worked best for the plans she set for herself.  

motherhem

Momof3darlings,  DD is on a similar track as a senior right now.  How did it work out for your DD?

Momof3darlings

Motherhem--the short story is she received a paid Apprenticeship at a regional company, was moved up to Company during Nutcracker, left that company on her own at the end of the year.  Went to another company as a paid Trainee.  Was made Apprentice there and then moved up to Company.  She is in her 11th year dancing as a company member professionally.

As far as college auditions went, she received Academic and Dance scholarships from several colleges and deferred those for two years before she could defer no longer.  She takes college classes along with her dancing now.  The longer story, I think, is in that Plan A, B, C thread.

I look back on that year and do not know how in the world we did it financially, and/or time wise, but we made it.  I was, however, thankful that DD2 gave up dancing after high school and DD3 is dancing for fun on her college dance team.  Much less stressful for me.    

motherhem

Thank you for sharing.  Her story is inspiring!.  

dancer.chick63

Thank you to all who replied! This has been very helpful. ☺️