Ballet Talk for Dancers
KatieBrandner

Summer Intensive auditions

KatieBrandner

And so it begins- SI auditions are upon our children and us! I suppose I am looking for some generalized advice here and validation that I am doing the best thing for my DD. For a little background... my DD’s bday is in March. In 2017 she auditioned for Joffrey when she was 9 and attended the Joffrey South SI in GA when she was 10. Last summer at 11 she did the two week Intermediate program with the Burklyn Ballet Theatre in Vermont. She is going into the auditions as an 11 year old but will be 12 this summer. Because of this three of the programs will consider her for both their young dancers and their main programs. This weekend she has the Burklyn audition (they are looking at her for both programs), then in two weeks both SAB and ABT( both looking at her for both- ABT young dancers and their Alabama program), SAB both, and then at the end of the month Joffrey.

multiple kids at her current dance school do ABT and Burklyn and one girl has done SAB for two summers. A boy her age and in some classes with her did both young dancers programs for ABT and SAB last summer and he is attending the SAB audition with her. 

NOT comparing places by name as I know that is a no no- I have some generalized questions.

1. Since she attended two of these programs in the past and has grown, developed and has a solid year of pointe under her belt isn’t it likely she will get in those? 

2. For the new auditions since they are looking at her for their young dancers programs as well as the main programs do you think she may have more of a chance? She is particularly nervous about those but glad her friend who has been is going! 

3. Nerves- I am hoping she will be asked back to a place she has been so she will have confidence going into the weekend of the ABT and SAB auditions. I’m my opinion reach schools. I told her to just have fun, get the experience of classes from fabulous teachers and just do your best! I’m trying to make it as fun as possible- we have to travel to TX for this weekend. My sweet DD tends to put a lot of pressure on herself. Does anyone have some good advice on helping with the nerves?

Thanks!!!

Ballerinamom2girls

In short- there's no way to know these things.  Acceptance isn't based on years of experience, or personal growth.  They either like what they see or they don't.  No need to stress about it, she's so young!! My only advice would be is for YOU to have a stress-free attitude about all of the auditions.  Kids pick up on parents stress.  My daughter is her own harshest critic.  I literally just say to her "stop worrying about it, it's going to be fine".  Over and over and over again.  I think the worst thing you can do for kids nerves is try and "prepare" them for an audition, like it's some sort of test.  It's just an audition, there will be more, a lot more! Year after year.  "You're just taking a class" is what I tell DD.  No big deal.

KatieBrandner

I tend to agree! I feel like sometimes it’s a matter of being in the right spot at the right time. I know how my daughter is also her harshest critic as well and I tend to worry more then her sometimes! I am glad she had such a good experience last summer and that audition is this weekend. She has a great relationship with the director and staff that is coming to our studio for the audition so she is comfortable going into it and excited to see them- as they are her. I will start practicing this- “stop worrying, it will be fine, have fun!” 🤞🏻🙏🏻☺️

ballet1310

My advice from years of SI’s - go where the best training for your dancer is. I know that can be hard to figure out but just because an SI is connected to a big company does not mean it may be the best place for your dancer - we have been to big and small and it a depends on where your dd is at, at this point - strong technique needs to be the goal early on - also keep in mind that if getting into these programs full time is a goal , read these threads to get an understanding of what it means getting in at 12 as opposed to getting in at 16/17 - 

gaving saud all that , she is young, have her also pick somewhere she will enjoy !

KatieBrandner

I agree and that is what my gut is telling me! Like I said Burklyn is this weekend, SAB and ABT MLK weekend, then Joffrey is the 26th. So we will know and make a decision based on what happens by the end of Jan early Feb I am guessing. I just want her to have fun and pray that whatever is meant to be happens and we are able to make it happen. Thanks for everyone’s advice! 

NYCMOM

I strongly echo ballet1310's advice to simply go where the strongest training is for your 12 y/o, without regard to whether the program is company-affiliated. [ .  . . ].   Good luck!

Edited by dancemaven
Removed off-topic comments.

dancemaven

Posters, this is a general thread for discussing how one goes about evaluating and figuring out what might be the best fit for a dancer for a SI program for any given summer.

It is not a thread to make specific SI program recommendations or sing their praises.  We have dedicated threads for the programs in which members may share their first-hand experiences with various programs.  :thumbsup:

ballet1310

Sorry ! Forgot 😬