Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dreamingofdance

Audition Nerves

Dreamingofdance

Hello! The new audition season is just beginning, and it's stressful! I was wondering if anyone could share what they do before their auditions, to prepare or to get rid of some nerves. I know it's good to be a little nervous as it keeps you on edge, but sometimes I definitely overthink it and wonder if others do too

BobbyPins

I always listen to music while I’m warming up and stretching... it helps me focus and calms my nerves.  I also have certain items of warm up clothing that I always wear that I have discovered worked the best for me, mostly through trial and error.  To me wearing them is something familiar and calming.  But honestly the best advice I can give you is to simply treat the audition as a normal class.  If you put too much pressure on yourself beforehand, you’ll most likely end up just psyching yourself out.  Just go in there and dance the way that you dance with no shame or anxiety... after all, this is what you have trained for! Best of luck with all your auditions ❤️

Edited by BobbyPins
Capitalization

Victoria Leigh

BobbyPins, I left your post...this time....but please remember the rules for the YD forum about not posting a response before a teacher moderator has responded. 

Dreamingofdance, just remember that it is just a class, and, as BobbyPins said, it is what you have trained for. I would add that, as an SI auditioner for many years, one of the most important things to me, in addition of course to good training and technical ability, I looked for students with a  positive attitude. Those who love to dance, and are not afraid to let that show, will always get my attention.  Welcoming corrections, and immediately applying them, are also a positive influence. :)  Just enjoy the class like you would with any guest teacher and appreciate the opportunity to be there!

Esmeralda

I always make sure to get to the audition about an hour early to ensure that I have enough time to thoroughly warm up. I also find it's very helpful to audition with a friend. ☺️

Dreamingofdance

Thank you everyone! My first audition went really really well so I’m excited for the rest of them