Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mariana

What should I take in count before accepting contract?

Mariana

Clara76,

They have suggested to take a chance if possible (monetary wise) and honestly I prefer to present myself in person, there are a lot of things you can't see in a video.

SIS: Here in Costa Rica with Rumen Ivanov Rashev, Jan Fousek and Kirill Radev and I have attended to the Joffrey Ballet Summer Intensives in NY (I already know the whole story about Joffrey's but I still learnt new ways to listen to my body. Anyways, I got a full scholarship so I wouldn't have missed the opportunity). I have been invited to the year round program at Joffrey and in the Pennsylvania Ballet but I didn't have enough money to back myself up at that time. This was 3 years ago.

99carrots

I say send videos to your second choice companies or ones that are monetarily not wise regarding transportation and time investment.  Auditioning in person is a good idea, especially for the companies you are really vying for.  

Also, a teacher is not always going to guide you.  Additionally, if they do guide you, they may try to steer you in a direction that really isn't right for you.  So, in the end, although hearing advice from others is greatly valuable, you also must know yourself and have an ability to distinguish what options are good/better/worse, than others for YOU.

I, too, attended Joffrey in NYC.  Despite the backlash they receive, I learned a lot there; sometimes it is not the prestige of the program, but your own actions that dictate your success.  Same goes for getting into a company.  Though you may not have year-round training at a prestigious school under your belt, it is what you make of what you are given that really determines your success.  

Clara 76

Ok!!!! Thank you for explaining- it is always helpful to have more information so that we can offer the best advice possible in each dancer's situation. 

I don't like having to explain myself to the other posters who were so helpful before having a fuller understanding of your particular situation :glare:, but I will:

Upon reading that you had 2 posts lacking any specific information about your background and training, all I could see was that you were 20 years old, likely had flat feet, and no real training, with the exception of simply dancing since you were 3. Can you imagine offering positive advice in that situation? I wouldn't want a dancer to waste her money based on the information given.

Now, I will un-hide the other posts. Please understand that we moderators are here for a reason- it's because we are in the business, and we CARE.

Mariana

No worries at all! I totally understand and there's no need to explain yourself, you are just doing your job here. Either way, if I need a reality check I'm sure I will get one during the auditions haha

Edited by GTLS Designs
Removed quote from post directly above

Clara 76

Thank you for understanding. I think it sounds like if your fellow Costa Ricans could put in a good word for you at WSB, that would be helpful. Also, if you still have a connection at Pennsylvania Ballet I'd reach out there too!

Good luck!

vrsfanatic

99carrots it is so sad to read that you think a teacher might not actually guide a student in a positive manner. If a student is with a teacher they cannot trust to guide them, they need to find a different teacher. Every teacher I know goes above and beyond to help their students. 

dancemaven

Marianna, I applaud your determination.  However if you want serious advice, please do listen to Clara76, one of our Teacher-Moderators with years of experience, both as a professional dancer and a company employee and a teacher at their a pre-professional school. 

If you just want emotional support to “go for it!”, you can find that from folks in all stages of the journey.

Do let us know what exactly you wish to receive from your questions and we can go from there. 

In the meantime, we have quite a lot of collected wisdom regarding what it takes to get a professional contract, what the journey looks like at various stages, what our members experiences have been in planning that last stage of the journey, etc. 

i would strongly suggest you get your favorite coffee or tea, pull up a comfy chair, and spend time reviewing all the wisdom and information our members have shared and discussed, drop in on threads that interest you, ask questions when appropriate.  I think you’ll find you will have developed a much better understanding as to what to expect in general and how to plan your next steps. 

Best wishes! 

motherhem

Marianna,

I want to second what dancmaven said.

Clara76 is a wise woman with much experience.  Hearing that you have connections in the US, good training, talent, and SI experiences are all positives for you but none of that takes away from the very sage advice she originally offered you: submitting a video to first see if the companies are interested in you and want to see more.  

From what I have read here, seen and experienced personally with my DD, sending a video is your first opportunity to impress a company with your skill.  It will often lead to an invitation for an in person audition with the company.

Considering the cost of traveling for auditions you would be wise to target visiting only companies that are seriously interested in you.

I hear your concern that there is much that you cannot see on video, but I want to say to you that there is so much that they can see on video. The people at companies reviewing them are very experienced and know what they are looking for.  They can spot technique talent and artistry very quickly and will often want to see more and will invite you to an in class audition.  

The other part of what she said also holds true for students even in the US. It seems the way of most companies here now is to first offer potential company members  a trainee position. As you may know most of these positions are unpaid and many companies even go as far as charging dancers for their training in these positions.  Only phenoms or very very well trained dancers are offered actual paid positions within a company after an audition. It does happen but it is happening less and less as time goes on.

Maybe you will be one of the lucky few but more likely you will be one of the many to receive a trainee offer.  So hope for the best but be prepared for the possibility of continuing your training at a cost for a year or two in the US before you can actually get a paid position here.  

Good of luck to you in your auditions!  I wish you all the best!  And please keep us posted of your on the forum. We love to hear success stories!  

wave1910

vrsfanatic,  I agree with you. My daughter has had many good teachers in her years of dance training, and head and shoulders above them all was you. It matters, and we thank you.