Ballet Talk for Dancers
Viola Young

Training Muscles Correctly

Viola Young

Recently I have notice that I use my quad muscles for most steps in class. Our teachers always tell us to be using our inner thigh instead of building up quad muscle. I always tire out my outer thighs and quads instead of engaging my inner thigh. I feel like I am building up too much quad muscle and that my thighs are becoming too bulky, so I try to engage and use my inner thighs but I never can. I can only seem to engage my quad. My quad muscles are very strong and bulky but I feel like it is blocking me from using the correct muscles. Does anyone else have this problem or an idea to help?

vrsfanatic

Viola Young I am not an "inner thigh" kind of teacher so I am not sure I can actually be helpful here. I will however say that the quadriceps have a very important job to do. They lift and hold your leg to the front and side, no way to avoid it. That is what they do. Lifting requires contraction of the quads and elongation of the hamstrings no matter what. A student will feel the activation of these muscles. 

Perhaps you might consider speaking with a physical therapist so you can learn about the function of the various muscle groups. The body is built to work in only one way. Even with rotation engaged, the quads will continue to do their lifting  and holding job.

Clara 76

Totally agree with vrsfanatic! Just wanted to add that you may have some sort of an alignment issue that is causing the bulkiness. Have you read through the pinned topics at the top of this forum?