Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lady Elle

Netflix "Driven to Dance"

Lady Elle

Has anyone see this?  It's not a documentary but another story line movie set around ballet (and Master Ballet Academy).  Thoughts?

meatball77

It's on netflix.

It was bad.  Really bad from the writing to the acting and direction.  The dancing was good but the plot line was too absurd and the video and acting too distractingly bad.

Chasse Away

I started to watch this and I couldn’t even get past the first 10 minutes. The mom character pushing her daughter into school instead of dance was SO unrealistic. No one gets that good at ballet without supportive parents paying all those bills! If the mom didn’t want her daughter to be a dancer she wouldn’t have paid for all her training in the first place.

(I’m not saying that parents can’t push their child into dance recreationally, I’m just saying this dancer was WAY to good to not have crazy amounts of training, and the mom wouldn’t have paid for all the extra training if she didn’t want her to be a dancer) 

Elf Font

If you enjoyed watching The Room (starring Tommy Wiseau), you may actually enjoy watching this. It is entertainingly terrible. In case you want to watch it, I won't give away any spoilers, but in general, anyone with a passing knowledge of ballet would have tried to make the audition process at least somewhat realistic. What little ballet is shown is very good. Casting, character development, story arcs -  those clearly weren't priorities in getting this movie made. But in the end, I still enjoyed it. But I also immensely enjoyed watching The Room. 

meatball77

It wasn't bad enough to be good bad.  Maybe if there'd been some absurd ballet dance battles.

Her mom said she hadn't seen her kid dance since she was eleven.  Yeah, that's not possible.

Beezus21

Agree with all of the above!  That said, I did enjoy watching "the old" Juliet Doherty!

dancinginthesnow
13 hours ago, Chasse Away said:

The mom character pushing her daughter into school instead of dance was SO unrealistic.

Really?  Because this was my life growing up.  I got into dance through an outreach program, was on full scholarship at a large ballet school for years.  My parents didn't watch me dance at all from age 9-19 and pushed me to excel in school and go to college.  I laughed out loud when the mom turned around just from watching a video... If only years of arguing could be turned around that easily.

Totally agree that the movie was quite poorly done though.

balanchine_ballerina

Personally, I couldn't take it seriously while watching it. A friend of mine and I watched it and we were laughing during the "serious" scenes. The dancing was, of course, beautiful but the "audition" was the fakest thing ever. a private audition, on stage (actually the Orpheum) in front of the company directors (Slawomir Wozniak?) 

Even though the movie was filmed 2-ish years ago it seemed a little rushed in my opinion.

GratefulMom

I just got a big work deadline.  

Naturally, I decided to paint my nails and watch this movie instead.  (And then watched Silver Feet and sipped coffee; just to make sure the entire day is frittered away.)

So much to nitpick, and I regretted not watching with my DD so we could have a little fun and giggles together (watching again with her is squarely out of the question. )  It is exactly what you might expect.

However, I will say this: it is better than any movie I have ever written, directed and produced myself, so anything I say from the comfort of my couch is probably not valid.  I applaud anyone for making their art known, even if it misses a few marks.

HarfordDanceMom

It was pretty terrible. The acting was awful. It felt like a high school skit put together by students.

DanceMumNYC

I wish I saw this thread before watching this film on Netflix. The dancing was beautiful, but the acting was indeed horrible (especially the mother!). I couldn't buy into the story line. 

Mdballetmom
On 2/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, GratefulMom said:

it is better than any movie I have ever written, directed and produced myself, so anything I say from the comfort of my couch is probably not valid.  I applaud anyone for making their art known, even if it misses a few marks.

This cracked me up!  I saw the trailer and thought it was soooo terrible! I cannot even imagine spending the time to watch the entire thing. She's a beautiful dancer, but a deplorable actress! 

DanceMumNYC

Does anyone know where she trained?

DanceMumNYC

-

Edited by DanceMumNYC
Removed double post

5678StarMom

She trained then at Master Ballet - not sure where she is all together now except she is acting in An American in Paris.

(and story line....what story line? 😏 )