Ballet Talk for Dancers
CVan

Colorado Ballet Academy—year-round

Bekah21

crossing fingers for you!!! How old is your DD?

MBK135

Thank you! I’ll keep you posted. My daughter is 14.

Bekah21

I assume you are not local to Colorado?

MBK135

I am not so that would be another thing to consider.

Bekah21

Well please let me know as soon as you know. Yes, we are local and DD would stay at home with us, but you never know how people can help others out. We have hosted international students for years and would possibly considering being a host family if we went this route. It would be fun to have another kid with the same interests in our house. 

I don't think we would do an apartment for our DD as she is so young, but we would also have to figure out transportation to and from.

Did CBA indicate how long it would take to hear from her audition?

Desiderata

Hello All, does anyone have any reliable knowledge as to whether merit scholarships are offered for the Colorado Ballet year-round preprofessional program?  And, if so, are such scholarships offered after attendance at their summer intensive, or through the summer intensive/year-round audition process?  I am aware of CO Ballet year-round scholarships being offered at ballet competitions, just curious if anyone knows of any other avenues?  Thank you!

Noodles

CVan, can we get an update on the program?  How many dancers are there in the pre-professional division? Do the dancers get many performance opportunities? What is the vibe/culture like? 

CVan

Hello; sorry I missed this post.  There are approximately 45 dancers in the pre-pro division this year.  They are still divided into level A and Level B.  They added a new "test" this year; a movement evaluation sort of like exams at other schools.  Dancers in this program have the opportunity to be chosen to perform in Nutcracker.  Eight dancers were chosen this year.   CBA also officially announced a Trainee program this year, with two trainees currently.  I cannot personally speak to the vibe, but DD feels that she has grown more there in the past year and a half than she would have had she remained at her old studio.  

Noodles

Great feedback, thank you CVan!

chong

CVan, My son is 16 years old and he was accepted to Colorado's pre-professional year around program. Do you know approximately how many high school boys are in this program?

Also, how many classes are men's only classes?

We live in Washington state and he is at a small studio now with a wonderful male teacher/mentor and is lucky enough to have 2 men only classes a week, but is hoping to find a program with at least 1 men's only  class per day. It looks like to me that Colorado is really trying to build their pre-professional program. 

Any other information about their men's program would be really helpful. Thank you!

CVan

Congratulations to your DS!  I will ask my DD about the number of boys currently in the program.

This year they have three classes per week:  Men's Conditioning and Technique, Men's Variations, and Men's Jumps and Turns.

They have Pas de Deux class once a week.

If you have more questions I will try to answer!

CVan

Currently there are 6 boys in the program.

Mommame

My daughter sent in a video audition for year round. How long would you wait for a result? Also how many spots for year round are usually left for those attending SI?

CVan

When my DD sent her video in summer of 2018, she got her result in two days.  I cannot say whether that is a usual response time.  I cannot speak to the number of spots; sorry.  Good luck to your DD!

Mommame

Thanks