Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceMumNYC

Where Are the Smaller Schools?

DanceMumNYC

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I apologize in advance and ask the moderators to please move this to the appropriate thread if necessary.

I've often heard/read that dancers and parents shouldn't worry about "big name/3 letter schools," at least not until the older teen years. That, as long as a dancer is getting good ballet training, they should stay in their smaller, local school and move on to a "big name" finishing school when they're older. And that, many times, said smaller, local schools provide better training for younger children and tweens than the "big name" schools do for their age group.

That said, I am wondering if these smaller schools, and reviews for them, are listed anywhere on BT4D. In a place like NYC, I believe most of our schools are "big name" and well known. So, I'd like to know where the smaller, less popular schools that offer great/better training are around here. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

BeaniesMom

In the Career and Education area is a section called Finding a Pre-Pro Ballet School with listings based on geographic area. I believe that is where smaller schools get mentioned.  

DanceMumNYC

Thank you, I will look again. I assumed most of the schools listed there were popular since they're considered pre-prof.

Noodles

I would run a search here and include 'hidden gems New York' or small schools/studios NY'. You may need to expand you search to include outlying areas, include Google to find names of smaller schools, and then do your own research.

My dancer is in the position that you have described. She has been training at small school with exceptional training and mentors, and lots of personal attention. she will be 17 in the fall and is looking at company affiliated pre-programs/pro-divisions for next year. Although an injury this year may derail that for the fall. 

DanceMumNYC

Thank you, Noodles! I wish you & your DD all the best on this journey! 

ballet1310

DanceMumNYC - I'm sure you are familiar with BAE - it might be worth exploring or going to their summer intensive - from what we know , the kids that go there early and train are very strong and go on to great schools/companies when they are older

DanceMumNYC

Thanks ballet1310. Yes, I know BAE. How early do you mean? 

ballet1310

Like before 15 - that’s. It to say after 15 they aren’t strong , they are but Darla Hoover makes sure the young ones have the correct training ... which is paramount early - my dd didn’t have the correct training early on although she was able to still get into great programs etc , it could only take her so far - it’s important and she has had to play “ catch up” theses past couple of years - 

DanceMumNYC

Thank you