Ballet Talk for Dancers
BournonvilleMom

Studio rules restricting going away in summer

BournonvilleMom

Is anyone able to share thoughts on studios that restrict students from going away during the summer, to summer Intensives.

We are have new rules at studio that we have been at for a long time.  Previously they allowed students to go away to summer Intensives, but now they are saying only every other year.  DD has at least one program we cannot go to, and she was awarded a scholarship.  We do love her teachers and we like the year round programs very much.

dancemaven

Given all the changes, it sounds like it might be time to look for a new studio.  At the age of your daughter, it is absolutely about best training possible and “how to get from here to there”.  If that requires a move, however, unwanted that venture might seem, it may be exactly what is needed.  Only you will be able to answer whether the training there is sufficient given its new restrictions and increased costs, but to me, there are some red flags based upon apparent business decisions and, perhaps, a change of business model, whether by design or by financial necessity.

Thyme

hi BournonvilleMom. We havent experienced the level of restrictions you are experiencing but we did have the issue of mandatory attendance at the local SI. They claimed that the winter program started at the SI. Personally I think it was more financially driven. The teachers were involved in our choices of other SIs and I appreciated their professional opinion. The controlling culture became an increasing problem for us to the point of disrepair. Yes I agree with DanceMaven.

BournonvilleMom

Thank you, and I appreciate that immediate response as that is the conclusion I am coming to.  We have been here very long but what I am seeing is many people have left because of new rules that restrict the older dancers.  She has a full scholarship to one program and a 60% merit scholarship to a second program that is downtown in our metro area.

Mdballetmom

It is sometimes not a question of the "quality" of the home SI instruction, but the need for a student to experience a difference perspective, different teachers, different expectations. Especially at your dancer's age. I do not know if it is time for you to look for another studio. But studios should recognize that their students are "customers."   And where you choose to spend your $$ and time during the summer is up to you. 

MelissaGA

DD attended a studio that preferred students to be at a certain level before branching out into away SIs. They felt that students benefitted from the small personal home SI until they were more of an upper intermediate to advanced level (generally around high school). 

I can't help but think an every other year approach is financial motivated. I have long believed that away SIs are not a definite necessity of the training at home is strong, especially if going away is not financially accessible for a family. Better to save those dollars the future when the dancer is older. But if what is offered at home is not comparable in the summer and you are required to do it anyway, that is a concern and a bit of a red flag in my eyes. 

Changing studios can be hard no matter what the reason. DD stuck it it out at a studio that was no longer the right place for her and left for her senior year. It was still not an easy decision as I kept thinking "it's just one more year."  In hindsight, she should have left when it was "just two more years " as it was no longer the right fit then. Still great training, but not what she needed at that point in time.  

Ballerinamom2girls

If they're churning out professionals every year; clearly they know what they're doing.  If they're not; it's about money.  Just my opinion, of course.  I've heard different opinions from different teachers; ultimately we decided to follow the money (scholorships).  At the end of the day, no one is more concerned, or more invested in your child as you are.

BournonvilleMom

We haven’t even been told how much the mandatory summer intensive will actually cost. She has a free SI and an SI that will only cost a couple hundred, and to send her to the studio for that time frame will cost more.

Ballerinamom2girls

Sounds like you have your answer.  Sometimes it just helps to write it down and have others confirm your thinking.  I've used this board for that purpose before and it really helps.  All the best to you!

Bavalay

Bournville, what will happen if your DD attends another SI?  Will her school dismiss or expell her?  Her current school does not control your bank account or decisions you need to make regarding finances or your family's wellbeing.  I didn't know schools did  such things.  How would they even know if you could afford summer training?  For some students, scholarships might be the only way they can even dance.  This doesn't seem right to me.  Kind of like blackmail.  Not to mention you paid for your DD to audition to summer programs.  Perhaps get their blessing and then send your DD to the places that are covering the cost of her training.  

BournonvilleMom

Spoke with school today and came to an agreement that I think will work.  I admitted I don’t have enough to cover everything, and was able to understand why they want her home for most of the summer.  It wasn’t financial, and I do understand.  I’m going to cut back on a couple of costs at dance, they’re going to let her go away for up to four weeks and the rest will work out.  They’re making a lot of changes.  Going to try to be patient and trust her studio.  Thanks for the sounding board and I appreciate the insight. 

labrador

I hope you are pleasantly and gratefully surprised at the end of summer.

Ballerinamom2girls

Glad you were able to get the clarification you needed.

BournonvilleMom

I have been doing so much reading on past threads that now I am almost afraid to post on here.  DD went away for her first intensive a week ago and she is loving it, of course.  While I was the one questioning keeping her at her current studio in February, now it is her.  I think merely going away to an SI can cause a dancer to question everything. 

Questions coming now about attending a year round program in our downtown, and potentially looking into auditioning for schools that are not even in our state.  Finally, she isn’t sure she wants to go the college route - 

I think part of me has thought that eventually she would start to outgrow all of this ballet obsession, but it seems the older she gets the more I realize it is just part of her life.

It really is a lot to figure out.  Thanks for listening...

RaisingBallerina

If fully agree with BournonvilleMom that the SI can cause a dancer to question everything, and given all they and their family are investing in their training, questioning is important! 

DD is also at a studio that discourages SIs but does all them.  It is ironic because she wouldn't be there in the first place if it wasn't for all the questioning that her previous SIs inspired!  She is going away this summer (as a rising senior), and it is impossible to know what direction that questioning will take, but it is healthy and necessary.  I am really hoping this summer helps her decide whether and how to tackle the college question, because she is all over the place!