Ballet Talk for Dancers
lesdeux

Need advice for possible school change

CakeMom

I would also suggest trying to take class at the schools on your "short list"   A school can have all the acolades, but still not be a good fit for your dancer.  There is something really specific about getting in a class and seeing how it fits for her.

DanceMumNYC

Thank you, Melissa & CakeMom.

Do you all think an audition class is enough to determine if a school’s the right fit or must it be a class during the year-round program? 

MelissaGA

I think an actual year round class gives more insight vs an audition class that might be attended by a wider variety of students. 

dancingjet

I agree with MelissaGA. An audition class can give you the feel for the teacher(s) running it but an actual year round class will show how things are in the day-to-day culture. 

DanceMumNYC

Thank you!

CakeMom

I completely agree that a regular class would give you a much better feel for how classes are run and what the environment is like there with their other dancers.   An audition class is usually run differently. 

mommamoni

My daughter is also at this same crossroad. She's just shy of 11 and is at the top of her level by far, except for ballet where she's middle of the pack for her level. She's currently at a rec studio & a small hamdful want to pursue dance in college or as a career. They give excellent ballet training. We are now looking at a studio that would push her further in all genres, however she'd probably peak in ballet sooner rather than later there. An excellent balance would be to attend her current studio for ballet only and the other studio for everything else. Is this common for dancers to do?

DanceMumNYC

I am finding that this is a fairly common trend for the current generation of child dancers. My DD also attends 2 dance schools: a pre-prof ballet school & another for the other genres. She is certainly not the only one, as many other students in her ballet school also go to other dance schools (usually more local/closer to home) for the other genres. Likewise, many of the children in her other (non-ballet) dance school are also students at other ballet studios in our city. Sometimes schools don’t offer all the genres you’re looking for, or sometimes they do, but the training is just not equal across the genres. You have to do what’s right for your DD & what’ll best help her meet her goals.

That said, I just wanted to add that sometimes conflicting schedules arise when you’re trying to attend 2 schools. This has been our situation on-and-off for the past few years, however we always prioritize ballet. Conflicting schedules have caused DD to take fewer classes than she would’ve liked to at the other, non-ballet school, or even miss (optional) end-of-year recitals. That’s just something to keep in mind when planning a schedule for multiple schools.

mommamoni

Thank you for that information. This gives us more to think on and consider.