Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballet.dancer.123

Why can't I go on pointe!?

ballet.dancer.123

I really, really want to go en pointe but my dance teacher won't let me! I am 14 and almost everyone else in my class has pointe shoes, even people who are 2 years younger than me! I am definitely not the best in the class, but I have strong feet and ankles and do lots of exercises every day. My friend went en pointe and she wasn't even doing any exercises it was just because she is naturally good. I don't know what else to do for my dance teacher to let me go en pointe! :(

Clara 76

It's time for you to ask your teacher why. Sometimes, the answer may be that a person can never go en pointe, but it could be other things as well. Ask your teacher, and see what they say.

ballet.dancer.123

Ok thank you for your advice!

balletdewdrop

A little late on this topic, but I hope this can help:

One of the girls in my class is 15 (I'm 13, for reference), and she's still not en pointe yet. There's girls who are 9 or 10 who are en pointe. Many factors come into play when being able to go en pointe, some of which are out of your control. The 15-year-old girl asked the teacher, politely, of course, on why she could not get pointe shoes. Turns out the teacher saw a problem with her foot that would potentially cause serious problems in her feet, and complications she would need surgery for. 

Hope everything works out for you, ballet.dancer.123!

ballet.dancer.123

Thank you, this really helped, balletdewdrop!

Ballet Prodigy

If it helps you any all of my friends went en pointe before me. I worked hard for the next three years and I eventually earned them too. Today, all of those girls who were originally handed pointe shoes hate ballet but I absolutely love it, especially pointe because so much time and effort went into getting my shoes. By spending so much time working hard, I fell in love with the art of ballet. Sometimes it’s better to wait because there are things in the future you cannot see. 

ballet.dancer.123

thank you so much that is beautifully said!