Ballet Talk for Dancers
cclw

Programs like the Charlotte Ballet/University program?

cclw

I'm not sure what area to put this post in, because it seems to cross lines between the college area and the ballet trainee area, but I figured for that reason Cross Talk might be the best place.

A college advisor recommended that my daughter look at UNC Charlotte because of their program in combination with the Charlotte Ballet. It sounds fantastic, and may just end up being a perfect solution for my daughter. It is described like this:  

Charlotte Ballet Academy and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte are offering an exciting program to college students enabling them to earn an undergraduate certificate in ballet while pursuing a university degree.

The Professional Training Certificate in Dance, equivalent to sixteen elective credit hours in the college degree, allows students to train, rehearse and perform with a professional school and company.

Since it may wind up being the perfect thing, I feel a little greedy asking the following question, but the website goes on to say:

Charlotte Ballet is the only professional dance company in the Southeast with an affiliated school that offers this kind of certification in conjunction with a major university.

Which led me to wonder what companies outside the Southeast might offer this kind of a program. Does anyone know of any others? 

Fouronlychildren

Cclw, I don’t know of any. But, I’m very interested to hear if anyone else does!

workmail

The Dance magazine college guide has universities like the ARB/Rider partnership, Dominican/Lines partnership, Nashville Ballet/Belmont, Ailey/Fordham. I am not sure if those are just partnerships or actual college credit. VCU gives full college credit for the Richmond Ballet trainee program. 

dancemaven

Dominican/LINES partnership is an actual BFA degree and is one of the degrees/programs of study offered at Dominican University.  The whole program is separate from the LINES Training program and neither is not co-ordinated with the company.  The BFA professors are primarily former LINES dancers and there is support from Alonzo King, the founder and AD of LINES.  But, the students are not part or parcel of the company.  I do not believe the LINES Training program students receive any college credit for their participation in the training program and it is not associated in any way with the Dominican University (unlike the BFA program) or with the company.  They are both tuition-based courses of study. 

cclw

Hmm. The beauty of the Charlotte program seems to be that you audition for it after being accepted to any school or program at the University. I assume that's why they don't consider the VCU/Richmond program analogous--which they clearly don't, since it's also in the Southeast.  But I'll still look into the other programs you mentioned. We have the Dance magazine college guide, but I find it difficult to interpret all the information in it.

mom2two

Granted, my information is quite stale at this point, but I would ask lots of questions about the Charlotte Ballet / UNCC program before committing.  I believe this is the same language that has been on the website as long as I can remember. From the perspective of the full-time trainees in the program, the UNCC students were completely separate from their experience and "dropped in" for class a couple of times a week and never performed with the company or the trainees.  My DDs have been gone from Charlotte Ballet for almost four years now so it could have changed in the last few years and be a more collaborating program now, but my experience is that it was something that sounded good on paper but didn't actually work in reality.  Or perhaps it worked well for the UNCC student who got college credit for occasional attendance and never performing. 

Would be nice to hear that it's a legitimate option these days but I would ask a lot of questions and get first-hand experience from recent attendees.       

dancemaven

Check the Colleges/Universities with Ballet Program forum and cross-reference with  the Trainee Forum.  That might help figure out specific programs.  It can be tedious and tricky, but the school programs can be a bit more straight-forward to figure out what can and cannot be mixed with them.

I don’t quite get what a “Professional Training Certificate in Dance” actually is.  Is there some governing body that sets specific criteria or is it just a declared ‘certificate’ once someone completes this single particular program?  What does it actually signify?

At least at one point, the Ballet West trainees could also be enrolled in the University of Utah BFA program—but it was a hard row to hoe in terms of time and AD expectations.

cclw

mom2two, that's depressing, but thank you for the information.

Dancemaven, it seemed to me as though the Charlotte program would allow the college student to maintain professional-level ballet training while working towards a degree in another field.  I don't think it's the certificate itself that matters so much as that getting credit for the ballet classes would help free up time from the total required credit hours.  There seem to be lots of colleges that offer ballet minors, but the level of the training seems pretty variable, and I would think it might be frustrating for a student who had previously been training at a pretty high level. Such a dancer might be much happier getting class through a professional company.  

workmail

CCLW - These are questions we asked 3 years ago so it may not be current. 

1. Do certificate students take classes with the trainees? How is their schedule different? Certificate dancers participate in classes with our Pre-Professional Division on Tuesday (ballet and partnering), Thursday (ballet and pointe), and Friday (ballet and jazz) evenings, as well as one ballet class Saturday mornings. Our Pre-Professional Division, in addition to the classes above, have a morning class schedule as well as rehearsals throughout the day.

2. What hours are their classes roughly -just afternoons, or mostly evenings or both? See question 1

3. Do students get at least one ballet performance in the year if they are certificate and not trainee? If you are a Certificate dancer, you are not guaranteed a performance opportunity with the Charlotte Ballet or the Pre-Professional Division. Dancers are welcome to audition for the Nutcracker.

4. Do the students drive themselves from UNCC to Charlotte Ballet or is there any shuttle or public transportation that you know of? Dancers are responsible for their own transportation."

I agree with you, the certificate does allow a higher level of Ballet focus and college credit for taking those classes. UNCC also seems to have a lot of good dance in general even outside the Charlotte Ballet (unlike NC State and Chapel Hill which are great academically but don't offer many technique classes). It's definitely worth a visit and audition. Other schools in NC that have ballet are Elon, Wake Forest, Duke but they are private and more expensive (and more selective academically). And UNCG, App and ECU have dance as well. 

cclw

Thanks, workmail. That's very helpful. We'd be willing to go outside the state for a place where my DD could get ballet at the level she wants to do while simultaneously, at least slowly, working towards the degree in engineering that is her ultimate goal. There are a few highly competitive schools that seem to offer both, but getting into one of those highly competitive schools is a huge gamble for even the most outstanding students, and we're desperately looking for some safer options, especially since she really does not need the pressure on her grades right now that comes from aiming for a top-tier, extremely selective school. 

workmail

Consider U of SC. 

cclw

U of South Carolina? I haven't heard much about their ballet. Is it good?

dancemaven

Check the dedicated thread for the University of South Carolina in the Colleges/Universities with Ballet Programs forum. :thumbsup:

Amie

Another possibility is CCM at University of Cincinnati.  They have some ties with Cincinnati Ballet and they advertise allowing students to earn credit while dancing with a professional company in their last 2 years.  Also, maybe U of Utah and U of Oklahoma but I'm not sure how strong their relationships are with the professional companies near them.

cclw

Dancemaven, I've spent hours in the College forums, but I had somehow missed the University of South Carolina; it does not seem to have had much activity in recent years. I'm really excited to learn more about it. 

Amie, thanks for the thoughts. DD spent a summer at Ballet West, and hated Salt Lake City with a passion, so we've taken Utah off the list. I confess I have a prejudice against sending my non-white daughter to Oklahoma, so I haven't looked hard at that, but maybe I should overcome that prejudice.  The issue with a lot of the best known college ballet programs seems to be that double majors are discouraged, or, in the cases where double majors are encouraged, a lack of an engineering program.