Ballet Talk for Dancers
cclw

Programs like the Charlotte Ballet/University program?

dancemaven

When discussing specific programs, we do ask that the information and questions be placed on the dedicated threads.  If there has been no recent activity, it will jump start discussions and information to be shared, if any.  

As for the paucity of double major opportunities at the best-known college dance programs, it is good to check further as to the why’s of that.  In many cases, it is a matter of time and logistics of fitting two demanding majors within the confines of available time within a study week.  Some universities may have more opportunities to fit a second major around the confines of a dance degree that requires rehearsals and performance schedules , along with classes, while others may have difficulties scheduling requisite labs in addition to rehearsals and performance schedules.  Sometimes it can be done with an acknowledgment and plan to  extend the number of semesters in order to accomplish the goal.  

So, for any individual university, it is best to ask what opportunities there are to double major, what specific additional majors may be compatible with a dance major given scheduling logistics and semesters required to satisfy all required course work given the time/expense one is able to devote to accomplishing a double major.

Some of the dedicated threads for various schools have discussed these issues; others may not have yet had the question explored.  Either way, it is a good area to explore on the dedicated threads so that specific information is located in one place.  

A general overall discussion is fine to be carried on here.

SusanG

My daughter and several other students from her studio attended the USC summer intensive 2 years ago and it was outstanding. It was small and many of the students in the upper level were starting their college program the following year. Susan Anderson ran the dance program and I'm guessing she still does. Definitely worth considering. Regarding double majors, many schools allow students to double major but some programs such as engineering because of the very structured curriculum are not flexible enough to major in both. But other majors are often possible depending on the school. 

cclw

Thanks. My daughter will be going into college with almost all of the credits towards an associate's degree in engineering, which makes her hopes of a dual degree much less of a stretch than it would be for most kids. This has moved to the top of my list for her. She's still kind of all over the place in terms of what she wants, but she got their application in early so that she could get the Honors College application in soon as well. We'll see how it goes.

SusanG

I am a career counselor who has worked with many community college, 4 year and high school students over the years and will be facing a similar dilemma in 4 years when my daughter is a senior so I have been investigating this already in preparation. For this reason I would still recommend that you speak with the dance department and engineering departments to make sure that it will be feasible to double major and that the 2 schedules won't conflict. Engineering is one of those unique majors because of the number of specific classes  and sequence they need to be taken in that aren't as flexible as other majors. Unfortunately the pre requisites a student takes in an Associate's degree although helpful doesn't eliminate the challenge of getting the engineering classes when she needs them so that they don't conflict with  her required  dance schedule. Although nothing is impossible it's good to be prepared in case it might take longer to finish both degrees.  When my daughter was at USC's summer intensive 2 years ago, Susan Anderson the head of the dance program  discussed this with us and another family and the challenges it would pose. I hope this is helpful. 

cclw

Thanks. I get that it's difficult and my daughter recognizes that it might take more than four years. It's interesting to know that there are other kids with the same combination of interests. It might be something schools should think about accommodating. In fact, the dean of engineering at a nearby university said to me in the past few months that he thought engineering programs did themselves a big disservice by being so rigid in their requirements, so maybe increased flexibility will be something that will increasingly be a feature of these programs.

We have not yet discussed this with the dance people at South Carolina, but she has corresponded with the engineering people, and they have been encouraging. UNC Charlotte is also required by law to take all her community college classes, so it is staying on her list, because the community college program is basically designed in conjunction with the state schools to replace the first two years of their engineering program. A third potential route that my daughter is applying for, and for your daughter to consider, is 3-2 programs. It seems as though a kid with a lot of college credits to begin with should be able to complete the two degrees in five years.

cclw

By the way, I would definitely support my daughter if she wanted to be more sequential about these things and work on the dance first, through some kind of trainee program, and engineering later. But she is adamant about wanting to attempt both at once, and these dancing children of ours don't get where they are without a lot of determination. 

SusanG

Good to know. I worked in the North Carolina community college system for many years and those associates degree are wonderful to knock our their general ed if they go to a state school.  My daughter is actually a STEAM kid. Loves math, dance, music art and science. Yes it would be great if they were more flexible but I wouldn't be too hopeful. These programs tend to be some of the more rigorous programs and the least flexible for many reasons but most likely because the very specific classes each student needs to take, when they are offered and that they are often prerequisites for the next class in the engineering curriculum. I'd love to hear what other schools she is considering if you don't mind. Always good to hear all the options if my daughter decides to go this route. Engineering is pretty broad so I hope she is also figuring out what type of engineering she will want to do or at least start with. I've worked with many engineering students over the years who unfortunately figured this out after they had taken a bunch of engineering courses toward a particular major as Freshman, Sophomores and even Juniors and found out things they could have easily known ahead of time and saved themselves a lot of pain and time. Keep us all posted. Would love to hear when your daughter lands and her experience.