Ballet Talk for Dancers
GingerMama

What age for Team?

GingerMama

My daughter is 6.5 and wants to try out for team. I never danced so I know nothing about this stuff. Is there a general age that you think a dancer should be before joining team? Is there an age when a dancer should do it to keep up?

Ballerinamom2girls

You're likely referring to a competition team? There is no right age.  You don't need a team to "keep up".  They're mostly just for fun.  Ballet schools (in general) do not have teams; although they may participate in some ballet competitions.  A ballet school may also have a "Youth Company"; but that is usually for extra performance opportunities, not related to competitions; usually advanced students (high school age).

Hope this helps; if you want to provide any more details, I may be able to give better advice.  

AnastasiaBeav

If you mean a competition team then I would think about how your daughter's personality matches with the attitude of the team. Is this team very competitive and does your daughter do well with stress? Is the team very laid back so your daughter will be bored? It is a great opportunity to make friends if that is important to you. However there are a lot of different factors to weigh if you mean a comp team.

Amie

GingerMama, my DD went to a ballet school with no competition team but had a student company that DD participated in starting at around 13/14 so I am speaking from that perspective.  There are probably a few things to consider when making this decision....

What are you and your dancer's reasons for joining the team and what do you want to get from the experience?  At 6.5 it is not a necessity to join anything to keep up, many successful dancers don't even start taking classes until they are 8, 9, or 10.  Some even start after this and are successful, but it does get harder around the preteen/teen years.  I know some competition dance studios only allow team members to take the serious classes, so this is the reason some dancers join the team.  (I don't like this business model personally, people shouldn't be forced into competing if they don't want to).   If your DD just wants to have fun, make friends, be part of a team, and loves to dance and perform, this might be a reason to join (kind of like a soccer team), but also keep in mind ...

What are you committing to by DD joining the team?  How many competitions are there, how much extra time and money are needed for the competitions?  How much extra time and money are needed for rehearsals?  How much extra time and money are needed for costumes, dance supplies, accessories, hair, makeup, etc.?   Is your DD (at 6.5 years old) prepared to deal with the extra time?

And as AnastasiBeav, said is your DD (and therefore you) prepared to deal with the stress, success, and disappointments that go with being on the team or even just trying out for the team?  Is the team more about comradery or about competition or both?  Also, most schools are not like "Dance Moms" but there is drama to some degree everywhere.  Competition and performances can intensify this depending on the school.  Try to find out what it is like to be on the team from the moms of older dancers or current team members.

Good luck in the process!

Momof3darlings

Gingermama- "Team" is a competitive dance term and that is for a different type school that we generally discuss here.  We are a board for those focused on ballet training.  While some ballet schools compete, it is not the same type of thing as "team" dance.  

GingerMama

Thanks so much for the advice! Sorry Momof3darlings, I did not realize it was not an appropriate question for this board. 

dancemaven

GingerMama, it is not that the question is inappropriate.  

It is that competition dance and “dance teams” are not within the focus of the mission of this Board and the Board’s membership demographics. :D

GingerMama

Thanks Dancemaven! I appreciate it!

AnastasiaBeav

GingerMama - My DD10 has been dancing at a comp studio for five+ years and competed on a team for two. The students on the team got the most opportunities to perform and my daughter really loves that aspect of dance. None of the choreography was ballet based. She made good friends and had great experiences during that time.

The studio has wonderful dancers but ballet was not the primary focus and it showed in the lack of advanced dancers who were proficient on pointe. When my DD came to me last year and said she wanted to focus on ballet I realized we could not continue down the path we were headed. So going into the fall season we changed course. She enrolled at a ballet academy that has a professional company and is now taking just jazz/hip hop classes at the comp studio.  She feels like she got the best of both worlds for now. She is sad that she does not get to perform as much but she knows that is a trade off for getting more serious about ballet.

So my recommendation is to look at the older dancers who are on the team at your school (or whatever studio you are looking at) and see if that is what you and your dancer want for her based on the goals you have today. 

GingerMama

Thanks so much for the advice Anastasia!