Ballet Talk for Dancers
Skyla

UK Surrey Schools: Adult Ballet Syllabus/Exam

Skyla

Thank  you everyone, your responses are once again much appreciated!

I was wondering if I might ask some advice about a summer school programme. Since I am having a slight panic attack at the thought of two months without classes, I found the following: https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/event/adult-summer-course-2019-london/. I plan to make a week out of it and go sight-seeing in London during the day and attending the classes in the evening.  

I need to choose one of the following: 

• Improvers A: Suitable for those with little previous experience in dance, this level teaches the basics of ballet technique with an emphasis on enjoyment. This course would also be suitable for those who may be returning to ballet after a long break.
  • Improvers B: Suitable for those with some previous experience in dance who already have a grasp of ballet technique and wish to improve their skills. This course would also be suitable for those who may be returning to ballet after a short break.

Pardon me but ''little previous experience'' and ''some previous experience'' makes no difference to me. By the time the summer school takes place I would have had 12 x 90 minute beginners lessons. I want to go and learn something that builds on the little I have learnt so far, but not necessarily start from the very very beginning. Could  you tell me what I need to sign up for?

Has anyone here had some experience with the RAD summer courses?

iceberg*lover

If I were you I would sign up for the Improvers A course.  There is nothing wrong with revisiting the basics and in the world of ballet, you are stil very, very new at it. 

I’m attending an adult summer intensive and I’ve put myself into the beginning level even though I’m on my 3rd year of classes currently going 3-4x a week. I appreciate a slower pace sometimes to work on alignment and technique rather than just thinking of what the combination is!

sorry my advice has nothing to do with RAD specifically. You can always ask them directly? 

Skyla

iceberg*lover,

Thank you for the recommendation, I am booking a space for the Improvers A course. 

I think I am slowly starting to catch on. It's a choice you make based on what you want to achieve from attending the course. In my case no choice, I am going there to learn stuff I don't know, which is everything! :D 

I might leave them some feedback about ''little previous experience'' vs ''some previous experience''. They should add a footnote saying ''if you don't understand the difference between the two, choose Improvers A''.

Redbookish

From all you've said here, definitely the Improvers A course.

I'm comparatively advanced - in knowledge if not always in execution of steps & technique! but I attend a lot of Beginners classes with specific teachers because we all need to keep working on the basics!

Skyla

Redbookish,

My ticket is booked and I'm ready to go!