Ballet Talk for Dancers
CVan

Prix de Lausanne submissions

CVan

Has anyone here ever submitted a pre-screening video to the Prix?  And has anyone's DK attended, and could speak to their experience?  The more I read about it, the better it sounds (especially the Networking Forum, which allows the attendees who are not Finalists to get seen again, and possibly get offers).  As the mom of a DD, whose dream is to dance in Europe, this is of great interest!

balletfan

In Australia, the Prix is definitely on a young dancer's radar.

I know of a number of students who attended, did not get into the Finals at the end of the selection process but  were offered (and took up) places at top ballet schools around the world.

Temps de cuisse

Not a parent but a teacher here...I had a student attend the Prix with the goal to finish training in Europe. Made the finals (did not place) but is now training in London. I am not a big supporter of ballet comps but the Prix is a breed apart.

CVan

Thank you, ballet fan and Temps de cuisse.  It definitely stands out not only because of the size (nice and small), but also because of the opportunities that are available.

Temps de cuisse

I liked that they do pre-screen and only invite dancers to the week-long event that seem to meet their criteria; usually around 40 girls and 40 boys.

balletfan

I would just add... sometimes even the best dancers do not get chosen to attend.  Sometimes those who attend but are not selected to be a finalist are offered the best opportunities.

You see this happen with YAGP too.  That is even more reason to participate in a broad range of competitions and pursue different ways to audition etc

Edited by balletfan

Temps de cuisse

Agree balletfan! There are many roads to Rome as the saying goes. Personally I do not have students do competitions; the only exception is for the Prix if I have a student that has potential and I feel will benefit from finishing their training at professional school. It is also a great way to get seen and make contacts in Europe. The competition is so well organized and the opportunity for schools/companies to see the student for several days in a class, coaching and performance allows for a better experience all the way around.

logollady

Curious if anyone knows if the Prix considers "Studio Company" at an American ballet company a "professional" and if so, they would not be eligible for Prix submission?

CVan

logollady, this is from the Prix website:  

"Must withdraw from the competition:

Any candidate who is, or has been, under professional contract as a dancer*;  

(* Exceptions can be made for candidates who received a fee for a performance organized by the candidate’s school as part of his / her education and this fee was required to be paid by governmental law. If a candidate has received such a fee in the past, he / she has to notify the Prix de Lausanne’s staff during the registration process.)

Any candidate having received a firm job offer, including a place as a paid full time apprentice, in a professional company (as per Swiss law, a firm offer is either a written or an oral offer which has such a content that its recipient may only accept the offer in order to conclude the contract) between the time of the registration and the date of the competition;

If any doubt, the candidate must inform the Prix de Lausanne office about her/his situation in order to be informed of his/her right to participate in the competition. The amateur status of competitors will be checked."

I'm thinking if the Studio Company has a contract, then that falls under "professional".  Best bet is to ask:  they have a message link on their Facebook page, and reply quickly (within a day or two). 

Doubleturn

As I understand it the important point is whether money is changing hands.  These days there are many gradations of trainee, 2nd company and apprenticeship.

ballonne mama

Is it okay to have a side string on this topic? If not, please direct me elsewhere. :)

We have four students applying for PDL this month. They all are excited and well-aware of the slim odds. I am being begged for insight as to what they typically looking for, and I'm fairly curious myself. While I have been around YAGP forever and have a feel for their pattern (despite the inevitable annual headscratchers,) I only personally know a few Prix de Lausanne acceptees. Any theories, insights, wisdom, random thoughts? 

balletfan

Well! I have seen a very talented student, who was not selected for PDL, go on to do extremely well at YAGP.  This was followed up by offers into top schools. The learning is that you apply for a range of competitions over time, and send audition videos etc.  Hopefully the right people will see see you and support you towards the next step.  It can be shocking, confusing and painful.  Seeing or hearing about this happening to others may help your students to gain some perspective and resilience.

Edited by balletfan