Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet Prodigy

Dancing with enemies?

Ballet Prodigy

What should you do if you don’t trust any of the dancers in your studio? In my lyrical dance we do a lot of partner and group work and the girls are always awful to me because I am a ballet nerd and they all hate ballet. I don’t trust any of them and I don’t feel comfortable lifting some of them and having them lift me. I mean would you wanna dance with people you don’t trust? Can anyone tell me how to cope with this?

vrsfanatic

Do you have anyone at your school with whom you are able to speak? Either a teacher, choreographer or director needs to know your concerns. They can only know if you express yourself. Hopefully someone will hear you. If not, as difficult as it maybe finding a new school may be necessary.

Ballet Prodigy

I’ve talked to the director of my school several times and she always says that she can’t force any of us to be friends but only ask for us to respect one another. I haven’t talked to my lyrical teacher yet but maybe I will. The choreography is really good though it’s just a matter of trust. 

Clara 76

Quite honestly, you will always be "dancing with enemies". By that I mean you are always in competition with the person next to you for jobs, roles, etc. Accept that premise and remove the "you" from the equation, meaning don't take any of this personally. It's not "you"- it's everyone.

As a professional dancer with a company, it becomes a family type atmosphere where there will be support for another's good fortune. Company dancers will congratulate each other and be supportive, if the environment is right. Unfortunately you are young, and this time period is one of the worst for your cohort. Ask yourself if you are always looking out for ways to show appreciation for the accomplishments of your fellow dancers. Always compliment them when there is something to compliment. You can't change others behavior, but you can change how you react to it. 

As far as lifts go, I'm not sure a young female dancer should be doing much lifting of others to begin with.......

Ballet Prodigy

Thanks for your support. The show is tonight actually and I’m quite a bit nervous. So ready to be done with this dance

Clara 76

How did it go?

Ballet Prodigy

One girl was mean on stage but otherwise it went fine